Spanish Chicken Tray Bake
Sheet pan meals, tray bake dinner, one pan recipes, or whatever-you-want-to-call-them are just the absolute best. I don’t know what got me hooked on them, probably something I saw on the intra-web or somewhere on social media, but regardless of the reason I am so glad that I did. I’ve made other sheet pan or tray bake dinners before (like my Tray Bake Salmon), because they are just so simple and quick to prepare, but the best part is that they are mess-free! And that’s the kind of cooking I can get behind, especially this Spanish Tray Bake Chicken.
Chicken thighs are a very under-rated cut of chicken. Compared to chicken breasts, they are cheaper, more flavourful and just as nutritious if not more. Plus, if you use bone-in thighs you get all sorts of leftover bones you can use to make a Simple Chicken Stock which can pack flavour into so many other dishes.
Regardless of what type of chicken you use, this dish is bound to be a winner with its perfect combination of carbohydrates, protein and healthy fats, creating a well-balanced meal for everyone to enjoy.
Spanish Chicken Tray Bake
If you don’t like bones, you could also use boneless and/or skinless chicken thighs for this recipe. Simply adjust the cooking time, by adding the chicken 20 minutes after the veggies have started since boneless thighs only need about 20 minutes to cook.
- 8 chicken thighs, skin on and bone in
- 3 bell peppers (yellow, orange, red), cut into strips
- 3 yellow potatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 red onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed with skin on
- 4 tsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. ground paprika
- 1/2 tsp. ground garlic (optional)
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt + more for seasoning
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper + seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- On a large baking sheet or tray, evenly spread out cut vegetables; onions, potatoes, peppers and cherry tomatoes.
- Using the back of a knife, crush the garlic cloves, leave the skin on and add them to the roasting tray. They will add flavours and fragrance to the dish and can be eaten once cooked.
- Season vegetables lightly with half of the olive oil, pinch of sea salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken thighs on top of the vegetables, and drizzle each chicken thigh with a little olive oil.
- In a small dish, mix together the paprika, garlic powder, sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Using your fingers sprinkle the chicken thighs with the spice mixture. You want to use all of the spices, so ensure the chicken is well seasoned.
- Add thyme sprigs to the pan, and transfer the baking tray to the oven to roast for 40-45 minutes or until the chicken skin is crispy and the veggies are tender.
- Serve warm and enjoy!