This Chickpea Tabbouleh recipe is a fun and filling twist on a classic dish! Traditionally, tabbouleh is a Middle Eastern dish made of fresh tomatoes, cucumber, parsley, mint, onion and bulgar wheat, but I’ve mixed things up to create a gluten-free version that really hits the spot.
Tabbouleh is typically served as a side dish or a mezze but has become increasingly popular ethnic food in Western Cultures. Using bulgar wheat is an inexpensive way to make a big batch of food to serve a crowd, but swapping the bulgar wheat for chickpeas not only make the recipe gluten-free but helps amp up the plant-based protein content. When it comes to chickpeas, you can make your own at home by soaking them and boiling them until they are soft, much like you would cook rice, or used a canned version instead. When it comes to canned chickpeas, opt for low-sodium versions and be sure to strain the chickpeas and give them a cook rinse before adding them to your cooking.
This salad can be served as part of a larger spread or BBQ, and it also stores very well in the fridge making it the perfect dinner side dish or make-ahead lunch.
A gluten-free take on a classic tabbouleh, made with chickpeas this recipe helps to increase the plant-based protein.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Salads
- Cuisine: Vegetarian, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free
- 19oz can chickpeas
- 1 English cucumber
- 2 fresh tomatoes
- 2 spring onions
- 1/4 cup fresh mint
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- Finely chop the vegetable. Chop the tomatoes, cucumber and spring onion into small bite-size pieces. I like to remove some of the seeds from the tomatoes in order to limit some of the excess liquid in the salad.
- Finely chop the mint and parsley, the smaller the better.
- Add the chopped vegetables and herbs to a large bowl.
- Dress the salad with olive oil and lemon juice, and toss until everything is well combined.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Serve and enjoy!