Easy Hasselback Potatoes
Crispy and fluffy, theses easy Hasselback potatoes are the perfect side dish for any dinner!
The Hasselback potatoes is perhaps the fanciest looking potato of the bunch, and fortunately, it is probably one of the simplest to prepare! With its tender and fluffy interior, and it’s crisp and crunchy exterior, this easy Hasselback potato recipe is where potato dreams come true.
Although very popular in the US, it turns out Hasselback potatoes are in fact from Swedish cooking. According to the world wide web, Hasselback potatoes were invented by Swedish trainee chef at Hasselbacken restaurant in Stockholm – who knew? Regardless of where they were invented, they are a welcomed change to the standard baked potato with their crispy edges and fluffy interior, they are the perfect combination of fried and mashed potatoes.
Hasselback potatoes, sometimes called accordion potatoes, are all about the knife work. The thinner you can make the slices, the more the potatoes will crisp up into crunchy little wedges with lots of room for butter and toppings to melt through. This dish can easily be served as a main course or heaps of toppings, but it also makes a great (and fancy looking) side dish for any dinner.
More Healthy Potato Recipes:
Easy Hasselback Potatoes
This easy Hasselback potatoes recipe calls for russet potatoes because their thick skin is perfect for crispy potatoes, but you can really use any type of potato you like.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: Baked
- Cuisine: American
- 4 large potatoes, russet or Yukon gold
- 4 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh black pepper
- Optional Toppings: Bacon, chives, spring onions, fresh herbs, crumbly cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- Wash and dry the potatoes. Slice the potato into thin slits, leaving 1/4 inch at the bottom unsliced, spacing about 1/8 inch between slits.
- Transfer the poatoes to a baking dish, and brush with half of the butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Bake potatoes in the oven for 50-60 minutes, or until easily pierced with a fork. Half way thru the cooking process, remove potatoes from the oven and brush with other half of melted butter.
- Once cooked, serve immediately with toppings of your choice.
- The potatoes can be saved for later, but they are best right out of the oven
- Serving Size: 1 potato
- Calories: 284 calories
- Sugar: 3 grams
- Fat: 1 gram
- Carbohydrates: 65 grams
- Fiber: 8 grams
- Protein: 8 grams
Keywords: healthy, easy, loaded