Steak Kabobs with Cilantro Sauce
These tender Steak Kabobs with Cilantro Sauce are marinated for mouth-watering flavour and the perfect addition to any summer grill.
Steak kebabs, beef kabobs or Shish kebabs, were a summer staple in my house growing up, not only are the simple to cook, but they are easy to prepare. You can essentially add any type of meat to skewers, and pair it with your favourite vegetables, pop it on the grill and dinner is done. Ok, it might be a little more complicated than that, but truthfully it’s pretty straightforward! Although you don’t need to marinate the meat before adding it to the skewers, it certainly adds more flavour, which is exactly what I did with these Steak Kabobs with Cilantro Sauce.
Beef is one of the trickier meats to use on kabobs, not because it is complicated to grill, but because you want to ensure you use the right cut to keep it tender on the grill. For my kabobs, I used top sirloin but flank steak would work very well too, I’ve tried both. You can certainly cook your kabobs without marinating them, but allowing them time to marinade helps to tenderise the meat so you get a juicier and better tasting steak kabob. Grilling kabobs is the best way to cook them, and with a few simple tips for the grill, you’ll get perfect kabobs every time.
In addition to the marinade, I paired these steak kabobs with a velvety cilantro sauce but I think a chimichurri sauce would be great too.
Steak Kabobs with Cilantro Sauce
The longer you leave the meat to marinade the more tender and flavourful it will be; aim for a minimum of 1 hour to a maximum of 8 hours.
- Prep Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings
- Category: Mains
- Cuisine: Paleo, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free
- 1lb steak (flank or sirloin), cut into 1″ cubes
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1″ squares
- 1/2 red onion, cut into 1″ squares
- 8 button mushrooms, ends removed
- 16 cherry tomatoes
- 8 wooden or metal skewers
Cilantro Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 bunch cilantro, stems removed (about 1 cup)
- 1/2 bunch parsley, stems removed (about 1/2 cup)
- Pinch red chillies (optional)
- 1 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup olive oil + more as needed
- 1 small lemon, juiced
- 1/2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- In a large bowl, combine the steak marinade ingredients and stir to combine. Add in the cubed steak and toss it in the marinade to ensure it is well coated. Transfer the beef to a plastic bag (or leave it in the bowl) and place it in the fridge for 1 hour (up to 8 hours) to marinade.
- While the beef is marinating, prepare the cilantro sauce. Add the ingredients to a blender and puree on high until smooth. You are looking for a rich, creamy consistency. If your sauce is too oily, add some more cilantro/parsley, if it is too thick simply thin it with a little olive oil. Season with added vinegar and sea salt to taste, and set aside.
- Once the beef has marinated, begin assembling the skewers, alternating between beef and vegetables. There should be enough ingredients to create 8 skewers, with 4 pieces of beef per skewer, 1 mushroom, 2 cherry tomatoes, bell pepper and red onion.
- Heat the grill or BBQ to a medium-high heat, about 450°F, and add skewers to the grill for 8-10 minutes turning half way through.
- Once cooked, remove steak kabobs from the skill and allow to rest 5 minutes before serving to ensure the juices don’t run when sliced.
- Serve warm with cilantro sauce and enjoy!
If you are using wooden skewers you will need to soak them ahead of time. Soaking them helps to ensure that they do not burn on the grill. Simply toss them in cold water for about 30 minutes.