Vanilla Almond Granola
This homemade Vanilla Almond Granola is a great breakfast staple for any household, not only does it taste delicious with hints of vanilla and almond, but it is incredibly simple to prepare and makes plenty of portions.
When looking to make dietary changes, one of the first places I suggest people look is their breakfast. Unbeknownst to most people, the standard North American breakfast is very similar to dessert; loaded with added sugars and sweeteners, many standard breakfast items look more like slices of cake and scoops of ice cream given their sugar content than healthy breakfast options to fuel the day.
If you are accustomed to pouring cereal out of a box or adding a slice of bread to a toaster every morning, making your own granola may seem complicated but I can assure you it is not difficult at all. In fact, it is one of the easiest recipes to make at home as it requires very little skill in the kitchen. If you are able to turn on an oven, and mix ingredients in a mixing bowl, this homemade Vanilla Almond Granola will be no problem at all.
For this Vanilla Almond Granola, I used sliced almonds, but you could also use almond slivers or roughly chop some whole almonds into bite size pieces. For the best texture, be sure to used whole rolled oats, as quick cooking or instant oatmeal will not provide the same texture or consistency to the granola.
Vanilla Almond Granola
For the best-tasting granola ensure that you use good quality vanilla extract, I used Simply Organic Vanilla Extract. If you don’t have maple syrup on hand, you could also sweeten your granola with honey.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Vegetarian, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup flaked almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 3 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the dry ingredients; oats, almonds, cinnamon and sea salt, and stir well to combine.
- In a separate small bowl, combine melted coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and use a wooden spoon or spatula to ensure they are well combined.
- Turn the granola mixture onto a baking sheet, spreading it out evenly.
- Transfer the baking sheet the oven for 25 minutes, stirring and turning halfway. Keep an eye on your granola to ensure that it does not burn, you want the granola toasted but not brown.
- Once toasted, remove the granola from the oven and allow to cool. Once cooled, store in a jar or airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.