Chicken & Cauliflower Fried Rice
This Chicken & Cauliflower Fried Rice is a lighter take on a classic fried rice and a great way to add more veggies to your diet in a fun and flavourful way.
I never used to buy cauliflower before I discovered cauliflower rice. It was just one of those bland and boring vegetables that I never really knew what to do with besides add cheese sauce to. When I first heard the term cauliflower rice I was completely perplexed and had no idea what the person was talking about. I immediately thought of it as a food trend that wouldn’t last until I tried it myself for the first time. If I am being honest, the first time I made cauliflower rice it made one heck of a mess in my kitchen, but the more I made it, the better I go and the less of a mess it actually made. There are a number of different ways to make cauliflower rice, but I think the easiest is in a food processor; it’s quick to prepare and easy to clean up, and it stores really well in the fridge or freezer for later use as well.
This Chicken & Cauliflower Fried Rice is a really basic recipe with simple ingredients most people will already have in their kitchen, making it a convenient weeknight meal. I made this recipe with skinless and boneless chicken thighs because I love the flavour but you could certainly use chicken breasts if that’s all you have. To get the best results for this recipe, you want to use the best quality chicken you can find. I source a lot of my meats from TruLocal.ca‘s monthly delivery service because their products are 100% local and very high quality. Be sure to check them and the promo code redeats for 10% off your first order!
Chicken & Cauliflower Fried Rice
I used chicken thighs for this recipe because I think they provide better flavour, but chicken breast would work just as well.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Main, Lunch, Dinner
- Cuisine: Paleo, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free
- 1 head cauliflower
- 6 skinless and boneless chicken thighs, diced
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1″ ginger root, grated
- 3 spring onions, diced
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 3/4 cup green peas, fresh or frozen
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce, tamari or coconut aminos
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 eggs, whisked
- To Serve: spring onions, sesame seeds, hot sauce
- Cut cauliflower into chunks and add to a food processor to make cauliflower rice.
- In a skillet on medium heat, add coconut oil and add diced chicken and cook for 4-5 minutes until cooked through. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add whisked eggs and scramble gently. You want to leave them a little soft and runny as they will be heated again later. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, add spring onions and carrots and sautee for 2-3 minutes until tender. Add ginger and garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add cauliflower rice to the pan and cook for another 2-3 minutes for help soften the cauliflower. Add chicken and peas to the pan, and stir through to combine.
- As the cauliflower mixture cooked, combine soy sauce and sesame oil in a small dish and whisk together. Pour into the pan and stir to ensure it is well incorporated with the cauliflower rice.
- Stir the scrambled eggs back into the mixture, and season to taste as needed.
- Garnish with extra spring onions, sesame seeds and hot sauce to serve.