Chicken Tikka Masala
This Chicken Tikka Masala recipe is a one-pan dish that is ready in 30 minutes making it a great weeknight meal! Made with fragrant spices, and tender chicken in a rich and creamy broth, this recipe is sure to please a crowd.
Ok, if I’m being honest, I had to bend the chicken tikka masala rules a little bit to create this particular recipe. I really wanted to create a recipe that was quick to prepare as a weeknight meal, so I had to forgo some of the traditional cooking methods to create this recipe. Traditional chicken tikka masala is made by marinating pieces of chicken in a yogurt and spice mixture for several hours before cooking, however, to ensure this recipe was ready in under 30 minutes I had to skip that particular step. Instead, I opted to season the chicken directly in the pan and allow it to cook in the creamy sauce, but I promise it doesn’t compromise the flavour!
This Chicken Tikka Masala is great on its own or can be served with side of rice (or cauliflower rice if you are looking to keep things light), and also stores really well in the fridge or freezer for days and weeks to come. I used chicken breasts from truLOCAL, because they are sourced from local pastured farms delivered right to your door, however chicken thighs would work equally well.
Chicken Tikka Masala
This Chicken Tikka Masala can be served on its own or with a side of rice or naan bread. If you don’t have chicken breasts, chicken thighs would work equally well in this recipe while adding a little extra flavour.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Mains
- Cuisine: Paleo, Gluten-Free
- 2 chicken breasts, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2” fresh ginger, grated
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 400g can crushed tomatoes
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup water
- Fresh coriander, to serve
- Yogurt, to serve
- Heat oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add the onions and red bell pepper and allow to cook 3-4 minutes until tender.
- Add diced chicken, stir to coat in the onion mixture and allow to cook for 4-5 minutes until chicken mostly cooked but not completely.
- Add garlic, ginger, turmeric, garam masala, coriander, cumin and sea salt, stir to coat the chicken and vegetable mixture, and allow to cook for an additional 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Pour in water and use a spoon or spatula to scrape up any tasty bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Add crushed tomatoes and stir until well incorporated with the chicken. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover and allow to cook for 15 minutes.
- Pour in heavy cream, stir to combine, leave uncovered and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
- Once cooked, remove from heat and allow to cool slightly before serving. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve with a sprinkle of coriander, dollop of yogurt and rice if desired.