Steak Fajita Bowls
If you love fajitas, you’re going to love these Steak Fajita Bowls! Served on a bed of leafy greens they are a lighter take on a classic fajita making them a quick and easy weeknight meal.
I’ve been doing a lot of bowl recipes lately. A few weeks ago I shared my Sweet Potato Burrito Bowls, my Meal Prep Buddha Bowls, and my Tex Mex Breakfast Bowls are still one of the hottest recipes on my blog. I think the reason I love them so much is because they are so simple to make and leftovers store really well in the fridge for plenty of meals to come. Plus, you can load these babies up with tons of toppings which is actually my favourite part! Everything from salsa to guacamole, hot sauce and cheese all help take these little steak fajita bowls from good to great with very little effort.
These Steak Fajita Bowls are great made in the moment, but you can also use leftover steak and quickly whip them together for a simple weeknight dinner. Plus, if you are feeling extra hungry simply add a little rice to the bottom of the bowl for an extra hearty meal.
Steak Fajita Bowls
I used a top sirloin steak for the Steak Fajita Bowls, however, any steak would work well. For the best results, take your steak out of the fridge at least 20 minutes before cooking to allow it to come to room temperature as a cold steak is more likely to stick to the grill and burn.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings
- Category: Mains, Salads
- Cuisine: Paleo, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free
- 1 steak of your choice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 head romaine lettuce, roughly chopped
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 handful cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- 1 jalapeño, sliced (optional)
- Season the steak with a generous pinch of salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat a grill pan to medium-high heat and place the steak in the pan to cook until golden brown and slightly charred, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn the steak over and continue to cook 3 to 5 minutes for medium-rare (internal temperature of 135°F), 5 to 7 minutes for medium (140°F) or 8 to 10 minutes for medium-well (150°F).
- Once cooked, removed the steak from the pan, set aside and allow to rest at least 5 minutes before slicing.
- While the steak is resting, cook the vegetables. In the same pan you cooked the steak, on medium heat, add bell peppers, onion and olive oil. Stir to ensure the vegetables are well coated.
- Sprinkle the vegetables with chilli powder, cumin, paprika and sea salt. Toss the vegetables in the pan with thongs or a spoon to ensure they are well coated in the spices. Allow to cook 3-4 minutes until tender.
- Once the vegetables are cooked, assemble the bowls. Split the romaine lettuce, corn and vegetable mixture between the two bowls.
- Thinly slice the steak into long strips and divide between the two bowls.
- Top each bowl with ½ sliced avocado and dollop of salsa, and season with a sprinkle of coriander, sliced jalapeños (optional for extra heat) and a wedge of lime.