Chicken Sausage Skillet
Made in one-pan and ready in under 30 minutes, this Chicken Sausage Skillet is the perfect way to do a weeknight dinner.
The thing I love about cooking is how inventive you can be. Unlike baking, where you need to be really precise, cooking allows for a lot of experimentation and imagination. When I was learning to cook I was so afraid to veer off in a recipe I would stick to the ingredients like a T, but the more comfortable I got in the kitchen the more I realized cooking is more art than science. Plus, the more you practice, the more skills you acquire, and the more you open the cooking possibilities.
The inspiration for this recipe came from a sausage and pasta dish that I used to make with pantry staples. Beans, especially white beans, are a nice substitution for pasta in a recipe because they have a similar texture while being naturally gluten-free and providing some additional plant-based protein. This chicken sausage skillet calls for chicken sausages, but feel free to use any type of sausage you prefer. I source all of my meat from truLOCAL, as they offer high-quality local products delivered right to your door.
Chicken Sausage Skillet
White bean kidney beans are technically referred to as white cannellini beans, so be sure to look at labels for one or the other. Although this chicken sausage skillet recipe calls for white beans, you could also use a pasta of your choice, such a penne, if you prefer.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Mains
- Cuisine: Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free
- 4 chicken sausages
- 2 x 14oz can white kidney beans, strained and rinsed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 white onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon fennel seeds, crushed
- ½ teaspoon crushed chillies (optional)
- 4 tomatoes, diced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- ¼ cup water
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Fresh basil, to serve
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat, add sausages and cook until golden on all sides. Once cooked through, remove from the pan and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add another drizzle of olive oil along with onions and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes until tender. Add oregano, thyme, fennel and chillies and cook for an additional minute until fragrant.
- Add bell pepper and diced tomatoes, season with salt and pepper, and cook until peppers are tender.
- Once vegetables are tender, stir in tomato paste and water until well combined. (Add additional water as needed.)
- Slice sausages into ¼ or ½ inch pieces and add to the sauce to simmer on low for 10 minutes.
- Add beans to the skillet and gently stir in to combine. Allow to cook for an additional 5 minutes until sauce has thickened, and season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with fresh chopped basil to serve.