Bacon & Egg Muffin Cups
These Bacon & Egg Muffin Cups are a simple handheld breakfast that you can grab-and-go on mornings when you just don’t have time!
Bacon and eggs are often considered more of a weekend breakfast, but in my opinion you can (and should) eat them any day of the week. Although bacon and eggs both have a reputation for being “unhealthy” because they are rich in cholesterol and saturated fat, we now know that this is actually a good thing. Not only do both bacon and eggs provide nutritional benefit from their fat and cholesterol, but eating a breakfast high in fat and high in protein is an ideal way to help balance your blood sugar and manage your cravings throughout the day. In fact, eating a savoury breakfast is a simple yet effective way to help limit your sugar cravings and one of the tips suggested in my Quick Start Guide to Quitting Sugar. Far too often people, especially women, opt for light or smaller breakfasts of yogurt, granola, or smoothies, only to find themselves hungry within hours and craving sugar all day long. Instead, it is best to eat more food less often by opting for something filling and satisfying that will keep you fuelled for hours to come.
These Bacon & Egg Muffin Cups may take a little effort, but I think they are worth every bite. Ready in under 30 minutes, they can be eaten hot or cold and can easily be stored in an air-tight container in the fridge for days to come. Simply heat them gently in the microwave or oven in the morning and you’ll be out the door in no time.
Bacon & Egg Muffin Cups
These Bacon & Egg Muffin Cups are a great handheld breakfast for mornings when you just don’t have time! This recipe calls for mushrooms, but if you are not a fan, you can simply omit them or swap them for another vegetable of your choice.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 12 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Paleo, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free
- 12 eggs
- 12 slices bacon
- 8oz mushrooms, roughly chopped
- Olive oil
- Sea salt
- Black Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- On a baking sheet, lay bacon across in strips and transfer to the oven to cook for 8-10 minutes. You want the bacon to be cooked halfway through before adding it to the muffin tins. This can also be done in a pan on the stovetop if you like.
- While the bacon is cooking, grease each muffin tin with a tiny drizzle of olive oil and use your fingers to ensure the entire muffin cup is coated in oil.
- Once the bacon is partially cooked, remove it from the oven, transfer it to a plate and allow it to cool for 1-2 minutes until it has cooled enough to handle.
- Once bacon has cooled, line each muffin tin with a strip of bacon, wrapping it around to line the sides.
- Once each muffin cup has been lined with bacon, separate mushrooms evenly across them and season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Gently crack one egg into each cavity and, once all eggs are cracked, transfer the muffin tin to the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes until the eggs are set in the middle.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool slightly, and then use a spoon to remove them from the tin.
- Muffins can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days.