Make-Ahead Asian Quinoa Salad
This Make-Ahead Asian Quinoa Salad is high in fibre, rich in protein, and quick and easy to prepare making it the perfect meal prep idea for weekday lunches!
I love a good salad, but a make-ahead salad is really my jam! I love recipes that you can batch cook and leave in the fridge for days to come so you have ready-to-eat meals whenever you need them. Unfortunately, leafy green salads aren’t the best for this; they get soggy, vegetables lose their texture, and they just aren’t as satisfying as when they are made in the moment. The good news is, grain and legume based salads are perfect for this! Because of their hearty and dense texture, beans, lentils and grains hold up very well in the fridge (even when covered with dressing) so you can whip them up without worrying about of them spoiling before you get a chance to eat them. Although beans are a very popular choice for make-ahead salads, grains such as farro, millet, rice and quinoa also work really well, and using quinoa helps to provide some plant-based protein to any meal. Plus, not only are make-ahead salads great as a main course, but can be served up as a side dish, or amped up with little grilled chicken or grilled steak for an extra filling meal.
So, if you love the idea of a meal prep salad, be sure to give this Make-Ahead Asian Quinoa Salad a go! Ready in under 30 minutes it’s a great recipe that you can add to your meal prep repertoire for a quick, easy, and delicious lunch any day of the week.
Make-Ahead Asian Quinoa Salad
This Make-Ahead Asian Quinoa Salad is a quick and easy meal prep idea that you can easily store in the fridge for up to 5 days! Whip it up on the weekend and you will have healthy lunches for days to come.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Salads
- Cuisine: Vegetarian, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free
- 3/4 cup quinoa, dry
- 2 cups cabbage, shredded
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 cup snow peas, thinly sliced
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup cashew, roughly chopped, to serve
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce, tamari or coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1/2” inch ginger root, grated
- In a small pot, combine quinoa with 3 cups water, bring to a boil, and then reduce to a simmer and cook for 12-15 minutes until quinoa is done. Once cooked, in a fine mesh strainer, strain quinoa to discard all of the water and then run under cold water to cool immediately. Set aside. (I like this method of cooking quinoa, but feel free to cook it any way you like.)
- While the quinoa is cooking prepare the vegetables and the dressing. Grate and chop all of the vegetables, and combine all of the dressing ingredients in a small jar or container and whisk until well combined. Set aside.
- Once the quinoa has cooled completely, in a large bowl combine the quinoa with all of the vegetables, cover with dressing, and toss well to combine.
- Season to taste as desired and top with cashews to serve.
- The salad can be eaten immediately, or stored in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 495 calories
- Sugar: 9 grams
- Fat: 20 grams
- Carbohydrates: 64 grams
- Fiber: 18 grams
- Protein: 19 grams