Packed full of protein, fibre and veggies, this healthy chicken burrito casserole works well as a meal prep idea or simple weeknight dinner.
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 1 cup dry long-grain white rice, basmati or jasmine
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup corn kernels, frozen
- 14oz can black beans, strained and rinsed
- 450g shredded chicken (6 cups or 3 chicken breasts)
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 150 grams Monterey Jack or Havarti cheese, grated
- Cilantro, to serve
- Green onion, to serve
- Preheat oven to 400°F. (If you don’t have cooked chicken, bake the chicken breasts in the oven for 25 minutes. Once cooked, place chicken on a cutting board and use two forks to shred the chicken into bite-size pieces.)
- In a large 2 or 3-quart baking dish, add onion, bell pepper, jalapeño, rice, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, oregano and salt and stir to combine.
- In a seperate bowl or measuring cup, combine chicken broth, tomato paste and olive oil and whisk until well combined.
- Transfer broth mixture to the baking dish and stir to combine with the rice mixture.
- Add chicken, black beans and corn to the baking dish and give it one final stir until everything is well incorporated.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminium foil and then transfer to the oven to bake for 50-60 minutes or until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Once complete, remove the baking dish from the oven, remove the aluminium foil, and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Return the baking dish to the oven for a final 5-10 minutes until cheese has melted and is slightly golden.
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool slightly, and serve with a sprinkle of fresh coriander and spring onion as desired.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 361 calories
- Sugar: 4 grams
- Fat: 11 grams
- Carbohydrates: 37 grams
- Fiber: 6 grams
- Protein: 28 grams