These vegetarian chickpea tacos are a fun way to mix up taco night! Not only does the chickpea filling work well in tacos but it works well in burritos, bowls, or topped onto your favourite salad.
Chickpea Taco Filling:
- 2 (14 oz.) cans chickpeas, strained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
Cilantro Lime Sauce (optional):
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup cilantro, minced
- 1 limed, zested and juiced
- 8 corn or flour tortillas
- 1 cup lettuce, shredded
- 1 avocado, diced or mashed
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- Strain and rinse the canned chickpeas and then transfer them to a large bowl. Using a tea towel or paper towel, gently pat chickpeas dry to remove any excess moisture, this will allow for a crispier texture once cooked.
- In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano and salt, and stir to combine. Sprinkle the spice mixture on top of the chickpeas and then toss or stir until the chickpeas are well coated in the spices.
- In a cast-iron or heavy bottom skillet, warm the olive oil on medium heat. Add the seasoned chickpeas and cook for 6-8 minutes until toasted and slightly crispy, breaking up the chickpeas with a fork or potato masher as they cook to create a ground-meat-like texture, leaving some of the chickpeas whole.
- While the chickpeas are cooking, prepare the cilantro-lime yogurt. In a small bowl combine the yogurt, minced cilantro, lime juice, lime zest, and a pinch of salt and pepper and stir to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed, then set aside.
- Optional: Warm the tortillas. If using corn tortillas, fill a bowl with room temperature water, quickly dunk the corn tortilla in the water, transfer them to a warm pan on medium-high heat, and warm for about 15 to 45 seconds on each side until golden and toasted, using tongs to flip the tortillas, until all of the tortillas are toasted. If using wheat tortillas, preheat your oven to 300°F. Wrap your tortillas in aluminium foil and place in the oven for 10-15 minutes until fully heated through or place them on a microwave-safe plate and cover with a slightly damp paper towel and microwave in 30-second increments until warm.
- Once the chickpeas are cooked, assembled the tacos. Place a tortilla on a plate, top with roughly a 1/4 cup of the chickpea filling and top with toppings of your choice.
- Any leftover chickpea filling can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. To reheat, add the filling to a pan and cook for a couple of minutes until warm.
- Serving Size: 1 taco with toppings
- Calories: 234 calories
- Sugar: 2 grams
- Fat: 9 grams
- Carbohydrates: 31 grams
- Fiber: 9 grams
- Protein: 9 grams
Keywords: chickpea taco meat, chickpea tacos vegan, smashed chickpea tacos, chickpea tacos recipe