Thick and chewy coffee cookies with a dark chocolate drizzle! If you love coffee-flavored treats, you’re going to love these cookies.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons instant espresso powder or instant coffee powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips, melted (optional)
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, add the butter, warm, and allow to melt, stirring frequently. To brown the butter, continue to cook the butter until it begins to foam and bubble, light brown specks begin to form at the bottom, and the butter has a nutty aroma. Once browned, remove immediately from the heat, transfer to a bowl and allow to cool completely.
- Once the butter has cooled, in a large bowl, combine the browned butter, brown sugar, and white sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Add egg, egg yolk, and vanilla extract and mix until well incorporated.
- In a medium bowl, add flour, instant espresso or coffee, baking soda, and salt, and stir to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredient and mix until combined, being careful to not overmix the dough. Once mixed, transfer the dough to the fridge for at least 30 minutes, or overnight.
- Once the dough has chilled and you are ready to bake the cookies, preheat the oven to 350°F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Use a 1-ounce cookie scoop, or 1 1/2 tablespoons of dough, portion the dough into balls, and place them onto the baking sheet, leaving roughly 2 inches between them. You should be able to easily fit 6 cookies on the baking sheet at a time.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, until the edges are slightly golden and the center still looks a little soft. Continue until all of the dough has been used; be sure to place the bowl of extra dough in the fridge while each batch of cookies bakes.
- Once baked, remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool for a few minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer them to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Once the cookies have cooled, melt the chocolate. Either add chocolate to an ovenproof bowl and place it over a small saucepan with a couple of inches of water, and warm it until melted, or heat chocolate in a bowl in the microwave for 1 minute or until silky smooth. Once melted, drizzle each cookie with chocolate and then allow to cool rest until chocolate has solidified completely.
- Any leftover cookies can be stored in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks or in the freezer for several months.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 208 calories
- Sugar: 14 grams
- Fat: 11 grams
- Carbohydrates: 25 grams
- Fiber: 1 gram
- Protein: 2 grams
Keywords: coffee cookies recipes, coffee chocolate chip cookies, espresso cookies, chocolate espresso cookies