These grilled tofu skewers are a great addition to any summer BBQ. For extra flavor, be sure to marinate your tofu for several hours and feel free to mix up the vegetables with any that you enjoy.
- 1 (14 oz.) block tofu, extra-firm
- 1 small zucchini, sliced into rounds
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 red onion, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 pint (8 oz.) cremini mushrooms
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- Remove the tofu from the packaging and place it between two pieces of paper towel or wrap it in a tea towel and place it on a cutting board. Set something heavy on top, like a cast-iron skillet, and allow to sit for at least 10 minutes to remove excess moisture.
- While the tofu is resting, prepare the marinade. In a small bowl or jar, add the soy sauce, olive oil, vinegar, maple syrup, paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder and whisk to combine.
- Once the tofu has been pressed, cut the tofu into 1-inch cubes, and place the cubes in a medium baking dish. Cover the tofu with the marinade, turning the tofu to ensure it’s coated on all sides, and then transfer to the fridge to marinate for at least 30 minutes, or up to 24 hours.
- Once the tofu has marinated and you are ready to assemble your skewers, chop your vegetables. If using wooden skewers or bamboo skewers, be sure to soak them in water while you prepare the veggies, or for at least 5 minutes, to ensure they don’t burn on the grill.
- While you assemble the skewers, preheat a grill to 425°F.
- To assemble the skewers, thread marinated tofu pieces and vegetables onto the skewers in any order that you like, I like to alternate between a few different veggies and a piece of tofu. The assembled skewers can be returned to the baking dish with the marinade to soak up some extra flavor while you finish all of the skewers or until you head to the grill.
- Once the skewers are ready to go, lightly brush the grill with oil, then place the skewers on the grill and cook them for 4-5 minutes per side, or a total of 15-20 minutes until the veggies are tender and there are char marks on the tofu.
- Once cooked, the tofu skewers can be served immediately or stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Gluten-Free Option: To make the marinade gluten-free simply swap the soy sauce for gluten-free soy sauce, tamari, or coconut aminos.
- Serving Size: 1 skewer
- Calories: 126 calories
- Sugar: 4 grams
- Fat: 6 grams
- Carbohydrates: 10 grams
- Fiber: 2.5 grams
- Protein: 9 grams
Keywords: grilled tofu, tofy skewers