Filled with garlic, nutmeg, and a pinch of cinnamon, this roasted acorn squash soup recipe is perfect for a healthy and heart-warming lunch on any cold fall or winter day.
- 2 acorn squash, halved and seeded
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 ribs celery, sliced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups chicken broth or vegetable broth
- Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the squash on a sturdy cutting board. Using a sharp chef’s knife, slice the top stem off the squash and then cut the acorn squash in half lengthwise. Using a spoon, scrape out the seeds, then place the squash cut-side down on the baking sheet and transfer to the oven to roast for 30-40 minutes, depending on the size of the squash, until tender or a knife can easily pierce into the flesh. Once roasted, remove the baking sheet from the oven and set aside for a couple of minutes until the squash is cool enough to handle.
- While the squash is cooling, in a large pot on medium heat, warm the butter and olive oil. Add onion, celery, and carrots and cook for 5-7 minutes until tender. Add garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes until tender.
- Add the nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt, stir to combine with the vegetable mixture, and cook for another minute until fragrant.
- Once the squash is cool enough to handle, using a spoon, scrape the cooked flesh out of the skin into the pot, and stir to combine with the vegetable mixture.
- Cover with broth, stir to combine, and bring mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and allow to cook for 20 minutes.
- Once cooked, using an immersion blender or in batches using a bar blender, purée the soup until smooth. If you find the soup too thick just add a splash of broth or water until you’ve reached the desired texture. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper as needed.
- Once blended, the soup can be served immediately or cooled and stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 185 calories
- Sugar: 5 grams
- Fat: 7 grams
- Carbohydrates: 33 grams
- Fiber: 5 grams
- Protein: 3 grams