This kale apple slaw is a hearty winter salad that makes a great side dish for roast or a hearty meal, and leftovers store well in the fridge for days to come.
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 bunch tuscan kale (aka lacinato kale, cavolo nero or dino kale)
- 2 small or 1 large red gala apples, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar (from the raisins)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon tamari
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch each ground nutmeg and cloves
- 1 small clove of garlic, finely grated with a microplane grater (no more than 1/2 teaspoon)
- Place the raisins in a small jar and cover with apple cider vinegar. Let sit for 10 minutes while you are making the salad or in the fridge overnight. Strain, reserving apple cider vinegar and set soaked raisins aside.
- Remove the tough stems from the kale and thinly slice the leaves. The thinner the better. Place sliced kale in a salad bowl.
- Place hazelnuts in a dry pan over medium heat. Toast until skins are dark and cracking, shaking often to prevent burning. When the hazelnuts are deep brown in color, remove from heat and tip into a dry, clean tea towel. Rub the hazelnuts together in the tea towel until the skins flake off. Remove the nuts from the tea towel and return them to the pan, toasting until they reach a deep, warm brown. Roughly chop the hazelnuts, leaving a few larger pieces.
- Make the dressing. Add olive oil, apple cider vinegar, mustard, tamari, spices and garlic to a jar with a tight-fitting lid. Secure the lid on the jar and shake until dressing is emulsified. Taste and adjust seasoning as need.
- Add thinly sliced apples, toasted hazelnuts and soaked raisins to the salad bowl with the kale. Drizzle over a small amount of dressing and toss to coat, massaging the kale as you go. Add in enough dressing to cover the salad. Taste a piece of kale and add in remaining dressing as needed. Serve immediately or allow to marinated in the fridge for up to one hour before serving.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 207 calories
- Sugar: 11 grams
- Fat: 16 grams
- Carbohydrates: 17 grams
- Fiber: 3 grams
- Protein: 3 grams