This French-inspired creamy asparagus soup is filled with the flavors of spring and perfect for a light lunch or dinner.
- 2 pounds asparagus spears, ends trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 5 cups)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Dill, fresh, to serve (optional)
- In a large heavy bottom pot on medium heat, warm the butter and olive oil. Add onion and garlic and cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender and then season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add asparagus to the pot, stir to combine with the onion and garlic mixture, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add broth, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes until asparagus is tender but still bright green in colour.
- Once cooked, turn off the heat, using an immersion blender or in batches using a bar blender, puree the soup until smooth.
- Once blended, add heavy cream and stir until well incorporated and the soup has a creamy texture. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper as needed.
- The soup can be served immediately with a drizzle of heavy cream and a garnish of fresh dill or stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for 3 months.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 196 calories
- Sugar: 7 grams
- Fat: 15 grams
- Carbohydrates: 14 grams
- Fiber: 5 grams
- Protein: 6 grams
Keywords: cream of asparagus soup