Creamy Asparagus Soup
Quick and easy cream of asparagus soup.
This creamy asparagus soup has all of the flavours of spring blended into one delicious bowl. Made with asparagus, heavy cream, and a pinch of dill, this soup is light and fresh and works equally well as a starter, side dish, or main course.
Asparagus is one of those vegetables that people tend to only think of as a side dish but it can truly be used in so many different ways. Thanks to its hearty texture, asparagus can be steamed, roasted, grilled, baked or sautéed and works in everything from salad to risotto to pasta to pizza. While asparagus is available in grocery stores year-round, nothing tastes quite like seasonal, local asparagus, which is the perfect ingredient for this creamy asparagus soup.
How to Make Creamy Asparagus Soup
- Cook the onion and garlic. Begin by sautéeing the onion and garlic in a pot with melted butter and olive oil until tender and translucent.
- Sautée the asparagus. Add the trimmed and cut asparagus to the pot, season with a pinch of salt and pepper, and sautée for several minutes.
- Cover with broth. Cover the asparagus mixture with broth and cook until bright green and slightly tender.
- Purée until smooth. Purée the broth and asparagus mixture until velvety smooth.
- Add a splash of cream. Stir in the heavy cream until the soup is rich and creamy.
- Top with fresh dill. Portion the soup into bowls, add a sprig of fresh dill, an extra drizzle of cream, a pinch of salt and pepper, and voila!
While this recipe calls for heavy cream, as I think it provides the creamiest texture and best flavour, you could certainly use table cream, half-and-half, or a splash of milk if you prefer.
Best Creamy Asparagus Soup
This classic French soup is a delicious way to use fresh asparagus when it’s in season. Once blended and cooled, the soup can easily be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for several days or in the freezer for several months making this asparagus soup a great meal prep idea or make-ahead meal.
More Healthy Soup Recipes:
This French-inspired creamy asparagus soup is filled with the flavours of spring and perfect for a light lunch or dinner.
- 2 lb. asparagus, ends trimmed, cut into 1″ pieces (about 5 cups)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups broth, chicken or vegetable
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Dill, fresh, to serve (optional)
- In a large heavy bottom pot on medium heat, warm the butter and olive oil. Add onion and garlic and cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring frequently, until tender and then season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Add asparagus to the pot, stir to combine with the onion and garlic mixture, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add broth, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes until asparagus is tender but still bright green in colour.
- Once cooked, turn off the heat, using an immersion blender or in batches using a bar blender, purée the soup until smooth.
- Once blended, add heavy cream and stir until well incorporated. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper as needed.
- The soup can be served immediately with a drizzle of heavy cream and a few sprigs of fresh dill or stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for 3 months.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 196 calories
- Sugar: 7 grams
- Fat: 15 grams
- Carbohydrates: 14 grams
- Fiber: 5 grams
- Protein: 6 grams
Keywords: cream of asparagus soup