A quick, easy, rich and creamy beet soup recipe!
This beet soup recipe is inspired by a classic European-style borscht soup. Made with red beets, potato, onion and garlic, this simple soup is made with pantry staples to create a flavour-packed meal that is equal parts beautiful looking and delicious tasting.
Beets are such an underrated vegetable. Not only are they a whole food, source of complex carbohydrate and nutrient-dense, but they are incredibly flavourful and a very versatile ingredient in the kitchen. Beets can be eaten raw, thinly sliced into salads or sandwiches, streamed, boiled or roasted. Although beets can be intimidating, due to their bright colour and ability to stain, cooking with beets is very similar to cooking with potatoes, sweet potatoes or any other root vegetable, making them a great addition to any soup or stew.
Beet soup, also known as borscht, borsch, borsht, or bortsch, is said to have it’s food roots in Ukrainian cuisine (although there is some debate) and is also an important part of Russian and Polish cuisines. Consumed both hot and cold, borscht is commonly made by combining beef stock or bone broth with red beets and other vegetables, including cabbage, carrots and onions. Depending on the exact recipe, borscht can also include meat or fish, or be left purely vegetarian, and it often topped with a garnish of sour cream. This particular beet soup recipe is certainly not traditional borsch; rather it’s my quick and easy take on this classic and delicious dish.
More Healthy Soup Recipes:
This beet soup recipe is made with red beets and potatoes and blended to create a rich, velvety creamy textured soup.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 large red beets, peeled and diced (roughly 1.5 lbs)
- 1 medium white potato, peeled and diced
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
To Serve (optional):
- Sour cream or crème fraîche
- Dill, fresh
- In a large pot on medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add onion and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes until onions are soft and translucent.
- Add beets and potatoes, stir to coat with the onion mixture.
- Add broth, just enough to cover the beets and stir until well combined. (Only add enough broth to cover the vegetables, you may need more or less depending on the size of your beets, as you don’t want a runny soup and you can always add more at the end if needed.)
- Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 30 minutes until the beets are tender and can easily be pierced with a fork.
- Once cooked, using an immersion blender or in batches using a bar blender, purée until smooth.
- Once blended, season generously with additional salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately with a dollop of sour cream and a sprig of dill.
- Any leftover soup can be cooled completely and stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 167 calories
- Sugar: 15 grams
- Fat: 4 grams
- Carbohydrates: 31 grams
- Fiber: 7 grams
- Protein: 4 grams
Keywords: creamy, red, potato