Broccoli Potato Soup
A hearty and healthy broccoli potato soup recipe!
Made with broccoli, potatoes, and parmesan cheese, this broccoli potato soup recipe is easy to make and a crowd-pleasing dish that the whole family is sure to love. Serve it up with a slice of crusty bread for a heart-warming winter meal!
Broccoli and Potato Soup
Is broccoli potato soup healthy?
Of course! This cheesy broccoli potato soup is made completely of whole foods and is a well-balanced meal with carbohydrates, protein and fat. This particular recipe has a creamy texture, thanks to the potatoes, but if you wanted to make it a little extra rich and creamy a splash of heavy cream would take it to the next level and add some more healthy fats at the same time.
Can you freeze broccoli potato soup?
Yes! Not only does this soup store well in the fridge for several days but it stores well in the freezer for several months. So, go ahead and make a double batch and you’ll have healthy meals for months to come.
Tips for the Best Broccoli Potato Soup
- Use Broth: Be sure to use chicken broth or vegetable broth in this recipe for an extra boost of flavour and nutrients. (1) Although you can use water, it won’t provide the same depth of flavour or texture.
- Add Herbs: Using fresh or dried herbs, such as thyme, bay leaf or mustard, helps to elevate the flavour of the soup with adding any calories. Broccoli and potatoes are nutrient-dense whole foods but, without a little help from herbs and spices, they can be bland or boring on their own.
- Use Fresh Cheese: Although you can use pre-grated parmesan cheese in this recipe, I highly recommend buying a piece of parmesan cheese on grating it yourself. Not only will it provide a cheesier flavour, but you can use the parmesan rind and add it to the broth for an extra boost of flavour. (Just be sure to remove it before puréeing the soup!)
- Season Generously: Adding a generous pinch of high-quality salt and pepper during the cooking process and at the end will help to enhance the natural flavours of the vegetables.
Although this recipe calls for fresh broccoli you could certainly use frozen. Simply add the frozen broccoli to the soup and cook until it can be pierced with a fork, and then purée or blend to your liking.
Broccoli Potato Cheese Soup
This broccoli potato soup is rich, creamy and utterly delicious! With its bright green colour, velvety texture and salty and savoury flavour, it’s so good the family won’t even notice it’s for them.
More Healthy Potato Soup Recipes:
A rich, creamy and cheesy broccoli potato soup recipe that is equal parts delicious and nutritious! This healthy soup recipe is a heart-warming meal that is great for lunch or dinner.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 5 cups broccoli, roughly chopped
- 3 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
- 5 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large pot on medium heat, add butter and warm until melted.
- Add onion and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes until onions are soft and translucent.
- Add thyme, mustard, salt and pepper and stir to coat the onion mixture.
- Add potatoes, broth and bay leaf and stir until well combined. (Only add enough broth to cover the vegetables, as you don’t want a runny soup, and you can always add more at the end if needed.)
- Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are tender.
- Add broccoli and cook for an additional 5 minutes until broccoli is tender and bright green in colour.
- Once cooked, remove the bay leaf. Using an immersion blender or in batches using a bar blender, purée until smooth.
- Add parmesan cheese, stir to combine, and season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately, store in the fridge for up to 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
Keywords: cheese, cheesy, easy, creamy, healthy
Did you make this recipe? Rate it below!