Roasted Cauliflower Soup
Learn how to make this creamy roasted cauliflower soup for a quick and easy meal!
Made with simple ingredients, this roasted cauliflower soup is packed full of flavour with a rich, creamy and velvety texture. Not only does it work well as a light lunch or simple side dish, but it stores well in the freezer for months to come so you can whip up a batch today and you’ll have a heart-warming meal ready to go whenever you need it.
Tips for Roasted Cauliflower Soup
Although cauliflower soup is rather easy to make, here are some simple tips to help make the best roasted cauliflower soup possible.
- Roast your cauliflower until golden. Cauliflower does not take long to roast in the oven, however, for optimal flavour and texture be sure to leave it long enough that is actually builds some colour. You can also turn the oven to broil for a few minutes at the end if you find your oven is taking too long.
- Build flavour. Cauliflower is pretty bland on its own, so be sure to season it well with salt and pepper before roasting. This recipe calls for garlic, nutmeg and mustard for a punch of flavour, however, herbs would also be a nice touch.
- Blend until completely smooth. Don’t skip this step. For an extra rich, creamy and velvety texture, be sure to blend or puree your smooth until it’s very creamy. You can use a fancy high-speed blender, but an immersion blender also works well.
- Save some florets for garnish. Once roasted, save a few extra bit of roasted cauliflower (the crispier the better) to garnish your soup for added flavour and texture.
- Freezer it. Once cooked, this roasted cauliflower soup keeps well in the fridge for a week or can be stored in the freezer for several months, making it a great meal prep idea.
How to Make Creamy Cauliflower Soup
Interestingly, the key to a creamy cauliflower soup isn’t always cream. In fact, there are many different ways to create a creamy texture without any cream at all. For this soup, I opted to use a combination of potatoes and milk to help create a creamy texture and added some parmesan cheese to give it an extra smooth velvety feel. White or yellow potatoes, such as Kennebec and Yukon gold, are high in starch which creates a rich texture when blended into a soup, while the addition of milk and cheese which help to add a little boost of protein and healthy fat at the same time.
Healthy Roasted Cauliflower Soup
Made with 100% real food ingredients, this healthy roasted cauliflower soup is a delicious and nutritious heart-warming meal. Serve it on its or with a slice of crusty bread for a simple lunch on a cold day.
More Roasted Soup Recipes:
Creamy Roasted Cauliflower Soup
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Roasted and Blended
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1 head cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 2 medium white potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 leek, sliced (white part only)
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 oz parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Add chopped cauliflower to a large baking sheet, drizzle with one tablespoon of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Transfer to the oven and allow to roast for 25-30 minutes until tender and lightly browned on the edges.
- While the cauliflower is roasting, in a large pot, warm butter and remaining olive oil. Once melted, add leeks, onion and garlic and cook for 5-7 minutes until vegetables are tender and slightly translucent.
- Add mustard, nutmeg, a pinch of salt, and stir to combine with the vegetable mixture. Then add potatoes and cover with broth, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and allow to cook for 15-20 minutes until the potatoes are tender and can be easily pierced with a fork. (You need just enough broth to cover the potatoes completely.)
- Once the cauliflower has finished roasting and the potatoes are tender, add the cauliflower, parmesan cheese and milk to the pot and stir to combine. Using an immersion blender or in batches using a bar blender, purée until smooth.
- Serve immediately, store in the fridge for up to 5 days, or in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 215 calories
- Sugar: 10 grams
- Fat: 9 grams
- Carbohydrates: 28 grams
- Fiber: 5 grams
- Protein: 8 grams