Breakfast Egg Bake
Packed with vegetables and breakfast sausage, this breakfast egg bake is a healthy and high-protein meal to start the day.
This recipe is really simple to prepare and incredibly versatile. It makes enough portions to feed you for the week (and then some), but can also easily be halved or quartered for a smaller baking dish and fewer servings. The egg bake calls for breakfast sausages for added protein, however, it can be removed to create a vegetarian option as well.
Breakfast – the best (and most rushed) meal of the day. If you read my most recent blog post, you will have noticed that breakfast can be a bit of a danger zone for many. Whether we are in a rush, hit snooze too many times, or just can’t be bothered to cook, we end up opting for convenient breakfast items that just don’t live up to their hype. My solution? A make-ahead breakfast egg bake!
I love breakfast, and if I had to chose to live on one food alone it would be eggs. They are just so versatile; hard-boiled, soft boiled, scrambled, sunny-side up, over easy or poached, I mean that can they not do! I pretty much eat eggs for breakfast every day; they are incredibly filling, delicious and nutrient-rich to keep me fuelled for my day. Plus, because they are rich in protein, they are a perfect recovery food for me after my morning workout. Recently, my schedule has been busier than usual, so I’ve needed a quick breakfast that I can count on. Breakfast egg bake to the rescue!
More Breakfast Egg Bake Recipes:
The ingredients used in this breakfast egg bake are versatile and interchangeable, which is what makes it so convenient to make. You can use any vegetables you have on hand, white or sweet potatoes, and alter the recipe using bacon or none at all!
- 1 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 red onion, minced
- 12 eggs
- 4 breakfast sausages, or 2 regular sausage, casings removed
- 2 cups spinach, roughly chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed chillies (optional)
- Pinch sea salt
- Butter or coconut oil, for greasing
- Preheat the oven to 400° F. Grease a 9×12′ baking dish with butter or oil.
- Place peeled and diced sweet potatoes on a baking sheet, toss in olive oil, and roast for 20 minutes or until soft.
- While the sweet potatoes are baking, prepare the sausages and vegetables.
- In a skillet on medium heat, add sausage meat (casings removed) and cook until no longer pink. Set aside.
- In the same skillet, sauté the onion and pepper until soft, about 2-3 minutes. Season with sea salt.
- Once onion and peppers are soft, add the chopped spinach, oregano and chillies. Cook for another 1 minute until spinach is wilted and spices are fragrant.
- Prepare the eggs. Into a large bowl, crack eggs into a bowl and whisk them well to combine.
- Once sweet potatoes are done cooking, remove them from the oven.
- Add the potatoes, vegetables mixture and sausages to the baking dish. Cover with whisked eggs.
- To ensure everything is well combines, give the dish a little stir.
- Transfer the baking dish to the oven and bake for 20-25 minutes, until eggs are set in the middle.
- Serve warm or cold. The dish can be stored covered in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 221 calories
- Sugar: 2 grams
- Fat: 14 grams
- Carbohydrates: 7 grams
- Fiber: 1 gram
- Protein: 17 grams
Keywords: sausage, easy, healthy