These high-protein Santa Fe chicken bowls are a great meal prep idea, perfect for a week’s worth of healthy lunches.
- 2 chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 cup white rice, dry
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 14oz can black beans, strained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup salsa, of your choice
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a pot, combine the rice with 2 cups of water and a pinch of sea salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, and allow to cook covered for 15 minutes, or as per package directions, until it can be fluffed with a fork.
- In a small bowl, combine the garlic powder, cumin, paprika, and salt, and stir to combine. Place the chicken breasts on a cutting board and slice them in half lengthwise so you have 4 thin cutlets, then season both sides with the spice mixture.
- In a large skillet on medium-high heat, warm the olive oil, then add seasoned chicken cutlets and cook for 3-4 minutes per side until golden brown.
- Once cooked through, sprinkle the top of each chicken breast with a quarter of the shredded cheese, reduce heat to low-medium, cover the pan with a lid, and continue cooking for an additional minute or so until the cheese is melted. Once complete, remove chicken from the pan, transfer to a plate or cutting board, and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the bell pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes until tender. Once cooked, remove from the heat and set aside.
- Once the rice is cooked, transfer the rice to a large bowl, add thawed corn, strained and rinsed black beans, bell pepper, and salsa, and mix gently with a spoon or spatula until well combined.
- Once complete, divide the rice mixture evenly across four bowls and top each bowl with a chicken breast.
- These bowls can be served immediately or stored in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 489 calories
- Sugar: 5 grams
- Fat: 10 grams
- Carbohydrates: 67 grams
- Fiber: 10 grams
- Protein: 33 grams