Sante Fe Chicken Bowls
Easy meal prep Santa Fe chicken salad bowls.
Loaded with rice, black beans, corn, salsa, and spices, these Santa Fe chicken bowls are made with pantry staples and perfect for make-ahead lunches that last all week long. Not only are they quick and easy to make but they are packed full of protein and fibre making them a healthy, filling, and well-balanced meal.
Ready in less than 30 minutes, these Santa Fe chicken bowls are a great way to get meal prep, lunch, or dinner cooked in a hurry. Just grill up the chicken, cook the rice, mix everything together in a bowl and, voilà, it’s time to eat! I used spicy salsa and orange cheddar cheese in these bowls, however, you can certainly use any type of salsa or cheese that you enjoy; Monterey Jack or Havarti would both work very well, and once cooked these bowls can be eaten hot or cold, which is exactly why they are perfect for meal prep.
More Chicken Bowls:
These high-protein Santa Fe chicken bowls are a great meal prep idea, perfect for a week’s worth of healthy lunches.
- 2 chicken breasts, cut in half lengthwise
- 1 cup white rice, dry
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 14oz can black beans, strained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup salsa, of your choice
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a pot, combine the rice with 2 cups of water and a pinch of sea salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, and allow to cook covered for 15 minutes, or as per package directions, until it can be fluffed with a fork.
- In a small bowl, combine the garlic powder, cumin, paprika, and salt, and stir to combine. Place the chicken breasts on a cutting board and slice them in half lengthwise so you have 4 thin cutlets, then season both sides with the spice mixture.
- In a large skillet on medium-high heat, warm the olive oil, then add seasoned chicken cutlets and cook for 3-4 minutes per side until golden brown.
- Once cooked through, sprinkle the top of each chicken breast with a quarter of the shredded cheese, reduce heat to low-medium, cover the pan with a lid, and continue cooking for an additional minute or so until the cheese is melted. Once complete, remove chicken from the pan, transfer to a plate or cutting board, and set aside.
- In the same pan, add the bell pepper and cook for 3-4 minutes until tender. Once cooked, remove from the heat and set aside.
- Once the rice is cooked, transfer the rice to a large bowl, add thawed corn, strained and rinsed black beans, bell pepper, and salsa, and mix gently with a spoon or spatula until well combined.
- Once complete, divide the rice mixture evenly across four bowls and top each bowl with a chicken breast.
- These bowls can be served immediately or stored in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 489 calories
- Sugar: 5 grams
- Fat: 10 grams
- Carbohydrates: 67 grams
- Fiber: 10 grams
- Protein: 33 grams