Sticky Chicken Meal Prep Bowls
These sticky chicken meal prep bowls are loaded with veggies, protein and healthy fats making them a balanced, delicious and healthy meal prep idea.
Lunches can be such a pain in the butt to pack and think about, so there is nothing better than a quick and easy recipe that can whip together healthy lunches for the entire week! For me, the key to a healthy lunch is ensuring that it is a well-balanced meal with all of the essential macronutrients; carbohydrates, protein, and fat. Ensuring that you incorporate all of these components into your meal not only helps to keep you fuelled for the rest of your day, but also helps to eliminate those dreaded sugar cravings in the afternoon. In order to ensure that these meal prep bowls were well-balanced, I kept things really simple; chicken for protein, rice and vegetables for carbohydrates, and sesame oil as a healthy source of fat (plus some extra seasonings for flavour!).
Although I used cabbage and carrots in these sticky chicken meal prep bowls any combination of vegetables would work, and if you didn’t feel like chopping your own veggies you could simply use a bag of fresh cabbage mix instead. Plus, if you were looking to create a low-carb version, simply swap the rice for cauliflower rice and I assure you these meal prep bowls will taste just as good and keep you just as full as the original version.
Want more healthy meal prep ideas?
- Meal Prep Buddha Bowls
- Meal Prep Glory Bowls
- Meal Prep Breakfast Bowls
- Meal Prep Falafel Bowls
- Copycat Starbucks Bistro Boxes
Loaded with veggies and protein, these gluten-free sticky chicken meal prep bowls are a quick and delicious way to whip up well-balanced lunches for the entire week.
- 1 cup rice
- 2 chicken breasts, cubed
- 1/4 red cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 green cabbage, shredded
- 2 carrots, peeled and shredded
- 2 green onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons tamari
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil + more to cook
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1” ginger root, grated
- 4 cloves garlic, grated
- Sea salt
- Fresh coriander, to serve
- Sesame seeds, to serve
- In a small pot, combine rice, 2 cups of water and a pinch of sea salt, bring to boil and then reduce to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes until rice can be fluffed with a fork.
- While the rice is cooking, prepare the chicken. In a small bowl, combine tamari, sesame oil, honey, vinegar, ginger and garlic, whisk to combine and set aside.
- In a large pan, add a drizzle of sesame oil and heat on medium-high. Add chicken, season with a sprinkle of sea salt and allow to cook, browning gently on all sides, about 3-4 minutes.
- When the chicken is almost cooked through, cover it with the sauce and continue to cook until chicken is completely cooked though. Once cooked, remove chicken from the pan (leaving any remaining sauce), place in a large bowl and set aside.
- Continue to cook the remaining sauce in the pan for an additional 1-2 minutes until it has thickened and reduced, and then pour it over the cooked chicken.
- In the same pan, add the cabbage, carrots and green onion, season with a pinch of sea salt, and cook for 3-4 minutes until vegetables are tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Once the rice has finished cooking, prepare the bowls. Separate the rice, chicken and vegetable mixture evenly across 4 bowls or containers.
- Top chicken with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and add a handful of coriander to each container.
- The bowls can be stored in the fridge in air-tight containers for up to 4 days.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 317 calories
- Sugar: 15 grams
- Fat: 9 grams
- Carbohydrates: 34 grams
- Fiber: 4 grams
- Protein: 23 grams
Keywords: chicken, rice, healthy, lunch