Fiesta Chicken Rice Bowls
Mexican-inspired chicken rice bowls!
Looking for a quick and easy meal prep idea? Look no further than these fiesta chicken rice bowls. Made with chicken, rice, bell peppers, and Mexican spices, these fajita-inspired chicken rice bowls are a well-balanced meal packed full of protein, carbohydrates, and vegetables.
I used white rice in these chicken and rice bowls, however, you could certainly use brown rice if you prefer. Although brown rice is often touted as being the healthier option, the difference between white rice and brown rice is minimal and it’s truly more about preference. Plus, you can easily cut down on time and ingredients by using a pre-made or store-bought Mexican spice blend or fajita seasoning instead of the chili powder, cumin, paprika, and coriander blend I’ve recommended.
More Healthy Chicken and Rice Recipes:
These fajita-inspired chicken rice bowls are filled with Mexican flavours and are a well-balanced combination of carbohydrates, protein, and vegetables.
- 2 chicken breasts or 4 chicken thighs, boneless and skinless, sliced or cubed
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced or cubed
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced or cubed
- 1 yellow bell pepper, sliced or cubed
- 1 red onion, sliced or cubed
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white rice, dry
- 1 handful fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Avocado, sliced, to serve
- Salsa, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a pot, combine the rice with 3 cups of water and a pinch of sea salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer, and allow to cook covered for 15 minutes or until it can be fluffed with a fork.
- On a large baking sheet, add sliced chicken, bell peppers, and red onion. Drizzle olive oil and sprinkle chilli powder, cumin, paprika, coriander, and salt across the chicken and vegetables.
- Using thongs, or your hands, toss the chicken and vegetables in the spices to ensure everything is well coated.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and cook for 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender.
- Once everything is cooked, divide the rice and chicken mixture across 4 containers evenly. Top each serving with a wedge of lime, fresh coriander, avocado and salsa to your liking.
- Once prepared, the chicken rice bowls can be stored in airtight containers in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 382 calories
- Sugar: 4 grams
- Fat: 10 grams
- Carbohydrates: 48 grams
- Fiber: 4 grams
- Protein: 24 grams
Keywords: healthy, fajita, easy, meal prep