Apple Cinnamon French Toast
French toast with apple cinnamon topping.
This light and fluffy apple cinnamon French toast is the perfect healthy recipe for a hearty weekend brunch! Complete with a warm sweet apple-cinnamon topping, this French toast is sure to be a crowd-pleasing dish the whole family will love.
Although I’ve named this recipe apple cinnamon French toast, it’s really just French toast with an apple cinnamon topping but, hey, who checking?! In my opinion, a good French toast recipe is all about the bread, which is why I suggest a brioche or French bread to help ensure your French toast is extra fluffy. If you can’t find brioche bread, sourdough, challah, French, or plain old, day-old real food white bread will work just fine.
This apple French toast is a wonderful recipe for a weekend brunch or a special occasion, however, it also stores very well in the fridge or freezer if you want to make a batch ahead of time and quickly reheat it on busy weekday mornings. Simply prepare the French toast as per the recipe, allow it to cool completely, store it in an airtight bag or container in the fridge for up to 3 days or the freezer for up to 6 months, and then reheat it in the oven, a toaster, or toaster oven for ultimate texture and taste.
More Healthy Breakfast Recipes:
This apple French toast with apple cinnamon topping is perfect for a weekend brunch or make-ahead weekday breakfast.
- 8 slices bread, brioche or white, 1/2″ thick
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 apples, diced or sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- Butter, to cook
- Maple syrup, to serve
- Begin by preparing the apple cinnamon topping. In a small pan or saucepan, melt butter, then add diced apples and 3/4 teaspoon of the cinnamon, and cook on medium heat for 3-5 minutes until apples are tender. Once tender, add brown sugar, 1/2 tablespoon of water, stir to combine, and allow to cook for an additional 1-2 minutes. If the mixture gets too “sticky” simply add another splash of water to loosen it up. Once cooked, remove from the heat and set aside.
- While the apple topping is cooking, in a large baking dish, add eggs, milk, vanilla extract, remaining 1/4 teaspoon of the cinnamon, and a pinch of salt and whisk until well combined and smooth.
- Add sliced bread to the baking dish, completely submerging each slice in the mixture, flipping the bread to carefully coat each side, then lift the bread out of the mixture and allow any excess to drip off. This may need to be done in batches depending on how large your baking dish and pan are.
- In a large skillet or pan over medium heat, melt a small knob of butter. Add slices of coated bread to the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes per side until golden brown, repeat until all slices are cooked. You can keep cooked slices in the oven at 200°F to keep them warm while you finish up.
- Once cooked, serve French toast immediately with apple topping and/or additional maple syrup.
- Serving Size: 2 slices
- Calories: 327 calories
- Sugar: 21 grams
- Fat: 10 grams
- Carbohydrates: 50 grams
- Fiber: 4 grams
- Protein: 10 grams
Keywords: apple french toast, apple cinnamon topping for french toast