Easy Huevos Rancheros
Brunch is my absolute favourite meal of the day, and my favourite meal to dine out for. There is something about the morning and endless cups of coffee that always keeps me coming back for more. I am totally a sweet over savoury person when it comes to breakfast, so eggs always seem to be on the menu for me, especially when they are Mexican, so Huevos Rancheros is my go-to move.
A classic Mexican breakfast, huevos rancheros are fried eggs served on corn tortillas, loaded in salsa. With the addition of spicy refried beans and lots of avocado, this is my take on the brunch staple. Typically refried beans are not something I would suggest, that’s because most store-bought versions are loaded with refined oils making them a messy choice. Fortunately, refried beans are so easy to make at home! With a few spices you can transform a humble bean into a tasty Mexican-inspired masterpiece.
Easy Huevos Rancheros
A bunch classic, this Huevos Rancheros is loaded with flavour from homemade refried beans, fresh salsa, and creamy avocado.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Gluten-Free
- 4 eggs
- 4 corn tortillas, small
- Butter or olive oil
- 1 can black or pinto beans (14oz)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup white onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 bay leaf
- Fresh pepper, to taste
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño, seeded & minced (optional)
- 1/4 bunch of cilantro, diced
- 1 green onion, minced
- Sea Salt
- Fresh Pepper
- Avocado, pitted and diced
- Hot sauce (This brand is one of my favourites)
- Begin with the refried beans. In a saucepan, heat oil on a medium heat.
- Add the diced onion and sea salt to the pan, and allow to cook 3-5 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Add garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes. Add spices and heat for another 30 seconds until fragrant.
- While the onion mixture is cooking, strain and rinse the can of beans.
- Add the beans, bay leaf and water to the pan. Stir to combine.
- Allow the bean mixture to cook for 15-20 minutes, until the water has completely absorbed.
- When the mixture has finished cooking, remove and discard the bay leaf.
- Using a potato masher or food processor, blend the bean mixture into a smooth puree. Set aside.
- Prepare the fresh salsa. Chop and dice the vegetables into small bite size pieces.
- Add the tomatoes, red onion, jalapeño and green onion to a bowl, and toss with cilantro and fresh lime juice.
- Season salsa with sea salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
- Heat the tortillas in a pan. Add a small drop of oil and toast the tortillas on 30 seconds each side.
- Cook the eggs. Add a teaspoon of oil to the pan, and working in batches, crack the eggs into the skillet.
- Cook until the bottoms are set and the edges golden, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Turn the heat to medium-low, cover and cook until set, about 1 minute more. Set aside.
- Build your huevos rancheros. Place the tortilla on a plate and spoon on 1 – 2 tbsp. of refried beans.
- Top with one egg and garnish with salsa, avocado and hot sauce to taste.
- Serve warm and enjoy!