Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Your favourite pot pie in soup form! This chicken pot pie soup recipe is a hearty and healthy one-pot meal.
Chicken pot pie is one of those good, old fashioned, stick to your ribs type of dishes that everyone loves. Whether it’s a cold winter night or a family dinner, it’s a traditional recipe that many of us grew up eating around the dinner table and still enjoy today. So, why not eat it more often? This chicken pot pie soup is a fun twist on a classic pot pie with all of the flavour and half of the effort.
If you’re like me, and you love a good chicken pot pie, you’re going to love this recipe! Not only is it packed full of flavour, but it’s made with kitchen and pantry staple ingredients that are inexpensive and easy to find, and it’s a great way to use up leftover chicken. Whether you’re looking for a simple meal prep idea or easy weeknight dinner, this chicken pot pie soup is a little number that (I think) everyone will love. Plus, it’s high in protein and full of fibre for a healthy and hearty lunch or dinner.
Chicken Pot Pie Soup Ingredients:
Although there are plenty of different vegetable and ingredient combinations that you can use, these are my go-to options for a homemade chicken pot pie soup:
- Onion & Garlic: The base of any good soup, onion and garlic help to create a flavourful base and provide a subtle sweetness to the soup.
- Butter & Flour: The combination of butter and flour help to create a traditional roux to thicken the soup.
- Cooked Chicken: This soup is the perfect use for leftover chicken. Whether it’s chicken breasts, chicken thighs or a whole roast chicken, any cooked and shredded chicken will work well in this soup. Not to mention, cooked shredded turkey would work well too!
- Peas & Carrots: The go-to combo for any pot pie, you can use fresh or frozen peas and carrots in this soup.
- Milk & Cream: This recipe calls for a combination of milk and cream, however, you can use one or the other if you prefer.
- Chicken Broth: Although you could certainly use water, chicken broth helps to add a much-needed depth of flavour to this soup.
- Potatoes: This recipe calls for white potatoes, although Yukon gold potatoes and russet potatoes work particularly well.
Once cooked, this chicken pot pie soup can be served on it’s, with crusty bread or you can go the extra step and whip together some delicious homemade biscuits.
Chicken Pot Pie Soup Recipe
This chicken pot pie soup is everything that you love about pot pie without the pie crust. Not only does it have all of the flavours of the nostalgic dish, but it’s much quicker and easier to make, making it a great recipe for a hearty and healthy weeknight meal.
More Chicken Soup Recipes:Print
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
Filled with shredded chicken, peas, carrots, and hearty potatoes, this easy chicken pot pie soup is the perfect cold-weather meal!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 pinch ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 medium white potatoes, peeled and cubbed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1lb (450g) cooked chicken, shredded
- 1 cup peas, frozen
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- In a large pot on medium-high heat, warm olive oil.
- Add onion, carrots, celery and garlic and cook for 5-6 minutes until tender. Add thyme, nutmeg, salt and pepper and cook for an additional 1 minute until fragrant.
- Reduce heat to a medium, add butter and warm until completely melted. Add flour and whisk into melted butter and vegetable mixture until completely incorporated.
- Add broth, stirring to combine and scraping up any sticky bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Add chopped potatoes and bay leaf, stir, cover and allow to simmer for 20 minutes on low heat or until they can be pierced with a fork.
- Once cooked, add milk and cream, stirring to combine. Add shredded chicken and frozen peas and mix until well incorporated in the soup.
- Continue to cook for an additional 10 minutes until everything has heated through. Season with additional salt, pepper and parsley (optional) to taste.
- This soup can be served immediately, stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for 3 months.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 375 calories
- Sugar: 9 grams
- Fat: 19 grams
- Carbohydrates: 29 grams
- Fiber: 5 grams
- Protein: 24 grams
Keywords: easy, healthy