Cinnamon Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
This cinnamon quinoa breakfast bowl is a welcomed change to your everyday oatmeal, and a quick and easy breakfast to get you out the door in a hurry.
Rich in plant-based protein and naturally gluten-free, quinoa is a versatile grain you can include in both savoury and sweet dishes. It’s mild nutty flavour and fluffy texture make it a great alternative to oatmeal for those mornings when you just want something different. Plus, since it is rich in fibre and plant-based protein it will help to balance your blood sugar and keep cravings at bay for the rest of the day, and this quinoa breakfast bowl is a great way to do it!
This quinoa breakfast bowl recipe is also a great way to use leftover quinoa; simply omit the cooking process and gently heat the cooked quinoa in a pot with a splash of almond milk and the spices for a quick and easy weekday breakfast. I used banana, almonds and coconut to top my cinnamon quinoa breakfast bowl, but feel free to use any combination of fruit, nuts and seeds to flavour it just the way you like.
More Healthy Breakfast Ideas:
- Homemade Bircher Muesli
- Berry & Chia Yogurt Parfait
- Chocolate Banana Oatmeal
- Carrot Cake Overnight Oats
This cinnamon quinoa breakfast bowl calls for almond milk, but any dairy or non-dairy milk would work equally well. For extra flavour, feel free to add additional spices such as ginger, nutmeg and cloves.
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 1 banana
- 2 tablespoons almonds, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon shredded coconut
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- Place quinoa in a tight-weave strainer and rinse it well before cooking.
- Add rinsed quinoa, almond milk, cinnamon, vanilla and sea salt to a small pot and bring mixture to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce to a low simmer and cook for 10-12 minutes until quinoa has absorbed most of the liquid, stirring frequently. If you find it dry, simply add an extra splash of almond milk to create the consistency of your choice.
- Add cooked quinoa to a bowl, and top with sliced banana, almonds, coconut and a drizzle of maple syrup.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 450 calories
- Sugar: 22 grams
- Fat: 16 grams
- Carbohydrates: 68 grams
- Fiber: 9 grams
- Protein: 12 grams
Keywords: warm, cinnamon, almond milk, banana, maple syrup, healthy