Sweet Potato Curry
High in fibre and plant-based protein, this lentil, spinach and sweet potato curry is a hearty vegetarian meal!
If you’re a fan of curry, you’re going to love this recipe. Made with red lentils, spinach and coconut milk, this sweet potato curry recipe is full of flavour with a rich and creamy texture. Not only is it incredibly quick and easy to prepare (ready in 30 minutes!), but it’s perfect for cold fall and winter nights when you want a heart-warming meal that just happens to be good for you.
Sweet Potato Lentil Curry
This sweet potato curry is inspired by a classic Indian dal. Dal, sometimes spelt dhal, dahl and daal, is both an ingredient and a dish: it is the term used for dried split peas or lentils, and is also the term used for a thick lentil soup very common in Indian cuisine. Depending on the region of India, the manner in which it is made can vary widely; from the variety and colour of lentil to the cooking method.
This sweet potato lentil curry recipe is my twist on the classic and traditional dish. I opted to keep the process and the ingredients simple to help keep this delicious dish perfect for a quick and easy weeknight meal.
Sweet Potato Curry Recipe
This easy sweet potato curry recipe is made in one-pot making it a perfect weeknight meal and it keeps as leftovers making it a great meal prep idea. Whip up a batch of this sweet potato lentil curry tonight, store it in the fridge or freezer, and you’ll have a hearty and healthy vegetarian meal ready to go whenever you need it.
More Healthy Curry Recipes:
Sweet Potato Curry
Made with red lentils, spinach and coconut milk, this sweet potato curry recipe is a healthy vegetarian meal that is rich, creamy and full of flavour.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Stew
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Indian
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil or ghee
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch fresh ginger, grated or minced
- 1 1/2 cup red lentils
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 can (400ml) coconut milk
- 3 cups vegetable broth, chicken broth or water
- 2 cups spinach, roughly chopped
- In a large pot on medium-high heat, warm the coconut oil. Add onions and allow to cook for 4-5 minutes until translucent.
- Add garlic and ginger, and cook for about 1 minute. Add curry powder, cumin, turmeric and salt, and allow to heat for an additional 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Add lentils and chopped sweet potatoes to the pot and stir to combine with the spice mixture.
- Cover with coconut milk and broth, stir to combine and bring to a gentle boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer, cover and allow to cook for about 25-30 minutes until lentils and sweet potato are tender.
- Once tender, add chopped spinach, stir to combine and simmer until spinach has wilted. (At this point, the curry should have thickened and most of the broth absorbed, if not, allow to simmer for a final 5-10 minutes until the curry is thick and creamy.) Season with additional salt to taste.
- Serve curry immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 378 calories
- Sugar: 2 grams
- Fat: 19 grams
- Carbohydrates: 41 grams
- Fiber: 7 grams
- Protein: 14 grams
Keywords: lentil, coconut, spinach, easy, healthy