Chopped Chicken Salad
There is no denying that salads can get boring after a while, but thankfully there are lots of different ways to mix things up. Chopped salads are actually just like regular salads, but their presentation, colours and dressing combinations are a simple way to add some variety to your lunch, much like this basic Chopped Chicken Salad.
When it comes to chopped salads, the varieties are endless, but this particular version is nice and simple so you can whip it up without many ingredients. When I worked in an office setting, I probably ate a salad similar to this one almost every day for work. Boring? Perhaps, but it was a really easy way for me to get my lunch packed quickly and keep myself on track.
I think the beauty of this particular salad is that it can be made in the moment in about 20 minutes or less, or prepared in advance and assembled when needed. All of the vegetables and ingredients can be pre-chopped and stored in containers in the fridge until they are needed, making is especially easy to prepare weekday lunches in the morning. Plus, the dressing itself is quick to whisk together and can be stored in the fridge (or the office fridge) until it you dress the salad. I’ve added a creamy yogurt-based dressing to this salad, but you could also use my Herbed Lemon Dressing as a lighter alternative.
Chopped Chicken Salad
The dressing for this salad lasts about one week in the fridge, and you can also add a pinch of seasoning like cumin or dill to mix up the flavour. Grilled or baked chicken work in this recipe, whatever you have on hand is just fine.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Salads
- Cuisine: Gluten-Free
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1/2 cucumber, peeled and diced
- 8 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 large red onion, diced
- 1 cup corn, fresh or frozen
- 2 chicken breasts, grilled and diced
- 1/3 cup full-fat yogurt
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- First, prepare the dressing. In a mason jar or container, combine the ingredients and whisk together until smooth.
- Wash and chop the lettuce into bite size pieces. Peel the cucumber, quarter and dice. (I like to remove the seeds as they can make the salad watery.) Half the cherry tomatoes and dice the onion.
- If you are using frozen corn, simply add it to a bowl and cover it with hot water until in thaws. Once thawed, strain off the water and dry lightly with a tea towel.
- Add the lettuce, vegetables and chicken to a large bowl and drizzle with half of the dressing.
- Toss salad to combine, add more dressing as needed and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve and enjoy!