Spanish Chicken Tray Bake
Filled with potatoes, bell peppers, tomatoes, red onion, and paprika roasted chicken thighs, this Spanish-inspired chicken tray bake is a hearty and well-balanced meal. Made on one pan with minimal cleanup, this recipe is perfect for busy weeknights.
Sheet pan meals, traybake dinners, one-pan meals, or whatever-you-want-to-call-them are just the absolute best. I don’t know what got me hooked on them, probably something I saw on the intra-web or somewhere on social media, but regardless of the reason, I am so glad that I did. I’ve made other sheet pan or traybake dinners before because they are just so simple and quick to prepare, but the best part is that they are mess-free! And that’s the kind of cooking I can get behind, especially this Spanish chicken traybake.
Chicken thighs are a very underrated cut of chicken. Compared to chicken breasts, they are cheaper, more flavourful, and just as nutritious if not more. Plus, if you use bone-in thighs you get all sorts of leftover bones you can use to make a simple chicken stock that can pack flavour into so many other dishes. Regardless of what type of chicken you use, this dish is bound to be a winner with its perfect combination of carbohydrates, protein, and healthy fats, creating a well-balanced meal for everyone to enjoy.
More Sheet Pan Chicken Recipes:
This Spanish-inspired sheet pan chicken dinner is a one-pan meal the whole family will love.
- 8 chicken thighs, skin-on and bone-in
- 3 bell peppers (yellow, orange, red), cut into strips
- 3 yellow potatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 red onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed with skin on
- 4 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 400° F.
- On a large baking sheet or tray, evenly spread out cut vegetables; onions, potatoes, peppers and cherry tomatoes.
- Using the back of a knife, crush the garlic cloves, leave the skin on and add them to the roasting tray. They will add flavours and fragrance to the dish and can be eaten once cooked.
- Season vegetables lightly with half of the olive oil, pinch of sea salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken thighs on top of the vegetables, and drizzle each chicken thigh with a little olive oil.
- In a small dish, mix together the paprika, garlic powder, sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Using your fingers sprinkle the chicken thighs with the spice mixture. You want to use all of the spices, so ensure the chicken is well seasoned.
- Add thyme sprigs to the pan, and transfer the baking tray to the oven to roast for 40-45 minutes or until the chicken skin is crispy and the veggies are tender.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Chicken Thighs: If you don’t like bones, you could also use boneless and/or skinless chicken thighs for this recipe. Simply adjust the cooking time, by adding the chicken 20 minutes after the veggies have started since boneless thighs only need about 20 minutes to cook.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 497 calories
- Sugar: 9 grams
- Fat: 18 grams
- Carbohydrates: 20 grams
- Fiber: 5 grams
- Protein: 61 grams
Keywords: sheet pan, easy, healthy, chicken thighs