Sweet Potato Burrito Bowls
A simple and healthy meal, these sweet potato burrito bowls are easy to prepare and make a great vegetarian lunch or dinner!
I love bowl-based meals; throw everything together, cover it with sauce, and you’re good to go. The key to a simple burrito bowl like this is adding a lot of flavour with a good dressing. You can make things complicated by adding different spices and seasonings to all of the different ingredients, however, if you want to keep prep time to a minimum making a killer dressing or sauce is a great way to do so. For these sweet potato burrito bowls, I used the avocado lime dressing from my Simple Salad Dressings ebook, it’s essentially the dressing version of guacamole which is exactly why it’s so tasty!
Healthy Burrito Bowls
I made these burrito bowls with rice, however, if you wanted to make a lighter or low-carb version, I would simply swap the rice for romaine lettuce and they would still be delicious. Ready in 30 minutes, these sweet potato burrito bowls make a great weeknight dinner or a simple meal prep idea for a week’s worth of delicious lunches.
More Healthy Burrito Bowls:
Sweet Potato Burrito Bowls
These sweet potato burrito bowls are made with rice, however, if you wanted to create a lighter version simply swap the rice for romaine lettuce and you’ll still have a delicious and satisfying meal.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 4 bowls 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: Cooked
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1 cup long-grain white rice, dry
- 4 small sweet potatoes, cubed
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 15oz can black beans, strained and rinsed
Avocado Lime Dressing:
- 1 avocado, flesh removed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 limes, juiced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Water, as needed
- Fresh cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Add cubed sweet potatoes to one side of a baking sheet, drizzle with 1 teaspoon of olive oil and a pinch of sea salt. Using your hands, ensure sweet potato is well coated with oil and salt.
- On the other end of the baking sheet, add sliced red bell pepper and red onion, drizzle with 1 teaspoon olive oil, chili powder and pinch of sea salt. Using your hands, ensure vegetables are well coated in oil, chili powder and sea salt.
- Transfer baking sheet to the oven and cook for 25 minutes until sweet potatoes are tender and vegetables are roasted.
- Next, prepare the rice. Add 1 cup rice, 2 cups water and pinch of sea salt to a pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to a simmer for 15 minutes until rice is fluffy and all of the water has been absorbed.
- While the vegetables and rice are cooking, prepare the dressing. In a small food processor or blender combine the dressing ingredients and blend until smooth. Add water to thin as needed to desired texture.
- Drain and rinse can of black beans, set aside.
- Once rice is cooked, remove from the heat and fluff with a fork. Once vegetables are cooked, remove from the oven and set aside.
- To assemble the bowls, divide the rice among bowls and then top with sweet potatoes, red bell peppers, onions and black beans, diving equally.
- To serve, drizzle with avocado-lime dressing, a handful of fresh coriander and a wedge of fresh lime.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 590 calories
- Sugar: 11 grams
- Fat: 19 grams
- Carbohydrates: 94 grams
- Fiber: 17 grams
- Protein: 14 grams
Keywords: black bean, vegetarian, healthy, easy
Did you make this recipe? Rate it below!