Loaded Burger Bowls
These Loaded Burger Bowls are a fresh take on a classic burger, but still packed with all of the delicious flavours of the real deal!
Let’s be honest, there is nothing like a good burger and there is certainly nothing wrong with eating them (especially when they are homemade!), but if you are looking for a slightly lighter version these burger bowls are where it’s at. Not only are these burger bowls packed full of veggies and fibre, but they are a quick and easy to make (ready in under 30 minutes) making them the perfect weeknight meal! This particular recipe calls for ground beef, however, ground turkey or ground chicken would work equally well, and if you wanted to make them ahead of time as a meal prep idea you can store them in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Although some people may be concerned at the sight of mayonnaise in a recipe, the truth of the matter is that mayonnaise is a healthy choice, loaded with healthy fats, when it is made with the traditional ingredients of eggs yolks, mustard, vinegar, and oil. If you want to be sure you are getting the healthiest option, you can easily make your own homemade mayo, or look for brands in stores that are free of vegetable oils and made with olive oil or avocado oil instead. These Loaded Burger Bowls are certainly tasty on their own, but it’s the special sauce that really takes them to the next level.
Loaded Burger Bowls
These Loaded Burger Bowls call for fresh ground beef, however, if you have leftover burger patties available simply re-heat them and crumble them up!
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Mains
- Cuisine: Gluten-Free
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 heads romaine lettuce, chopped
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 4 slices bacon, cooked
- 1 cup pickles, sliced
- In a cast iron pan or heavy bottom skillet on medium-high heat, warm olive oil.
- Add ground beef, garlic powder, salt and pepper and cook, strirring frequently, for 7 to 10 minutes until browned and cooked through.
- While the beef is cooking, prepare the sauce. In a small bowl or jar, combine mayonnaise, tomato paste, tamari, maple syrup, pickles, garlic, salt and black pepper and whisk to combine.
- Once the beef is cooked, prepare the bowls. Split the lettuce, cherry tomatoes, red onion, bacon and pickles across 4 bowls.
- Top each bowl with a 1/4 portion of the beef mixture and a drizzle of special sauce.
- These bowls can be served immediately, however, if you want to prepare them ahead of time do not add the special sauce until it is time to serve.