Herb & Sausage Stuffing
Crispy and golden on top and soft and tender in the middle, this oven-baked Herb & Sausage Stuffing is the perfect side dish to any holiday meal!
The key to a good stuffing is quality ingredients and lots of flavour. Although bread is delicious, on its own it can make for a pretty bland and dry stuffing, so the more moisture and flavour you can add the better! In my opinion, adding some high-quality sausage, fresh apple and lots of fresh herbs is the best way to create a moist stuffing while packing it full of flavour at the same time. My go-to bread for stuffing is sourdough since it’s the healthiest bread option there is, however, any form of white bread or baguette will work very well.
This particular recipe is made in a baking dish, however, it can also be cooked directly in the turkey cavity if you prefer; simply cook all of the ingredients as outlined and then pack the cavity of the turkey with the stuffing before cooking it in the oven. And, if you happen to have any leftovers, this herb and sausage stuffing can be stored in the fridge in an air-tight container for up to 5 days or the freezer for 3 months.
Herb & Sausage Stuffing
Crispy and golden on top and soft and tender in the middle, this oven-baked herb and sausage stuffing is the perfect side dish to any holiday meal.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Sides
- Cuisine: Dairy-Free
- 300 grams sourdough bread, cut into ½” cubes
- 2 pork sausages, casings removed
- 2 tablespoons butter + more for greasing
- 1 leek, thinly sliced
- 2 ribs celery, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 apple, cored and diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon thyme, dried
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup turkey or chicken broth
- 1 egg, whisked
- Parsley, to serve
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and grease a 9 x 12 baking dish.
- Place bread on rimmed baking sheet and toast until golden brown, about 15 to 20 minutes. Once complete, transfer to large bowl. (You can also skip this step by cutting the bread and leaving it to dry overnight.)
- In a large pan, heat the butter on medium heat. Add the leeks, celery, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until very soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add apple, sage, thyme, salt and pepper and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until fragrant. Once cooked, transfer to the bowl with the bread.
- In the same pan, add sausage, casings removed, and cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes, until browned and cooked through, breaking up the sausage with a fork while cooking. Once cooked, transfer sausage to the bowl.
- Add the whisked egg and chicken broth to the bread and sausage mixture, stirring to ensure that everything is well combined.
- Transfer the stuffing mixture to the greased baking dish and transfer to the oven. (If you prefer to cook it directly in the turkey, add it to the cavity at this point.)
- Bake covered for 20 minutes, and then uncovered for an additional 10 minutes until brown on top and warm in the middle.
- Allow to cool slightly and sprinkle with parsley to serve.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 245 calories
- Sugar: 5 grams
- Fat: 11 grams
- Carbohydrates: 27 grams
- Fiber: 3 grams
- Protein: 12 grams
Keywords: apple, sage, pork, turkey, healthy