Chewy Ginger Molasses Cookies
Soft and chewy, these ginger molasses cookies are the perfect holiday treat!
When it comes to holiday baking, I’m all about the real deal. Sometimes I think we can get too caught up in “healthifying” our treats (which I’ve also been known to do) when, in reality, a real deal treat here and there is absolutely nothing to worry about. Not only are most homemade baked goods made predominantly of real food, but your body can truly handle anything in small doses. Yes, they may be a little indulgent, but to me eating well is all about quality over quantity, and enjoying homemade baked goods is a great way to do it.
Packed full of warming spices, these chewy ginger molasses cookies are irresistibly delicious and a tasty holiday treat you can share with the ones you love.
These molasses cookie are soft and chewy and incredibly easy to make. The recipes make two dozen cookies, however, you can easily half or double it to suit your needs.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ginger, ground
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, ground
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves, ground
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, well packed
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1 egg
- Coarse or granulated sugar, for sprinkling
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves and salt, and stir to comibne.
- In a seperate medium mixing bowl, whisk together the melted butter, brown sugar, molasses and egg.
- Transfer the wet ingreidents to the large mixing bowl of the dry ingredients and, using a wooden spoon or spatula, mix the dough until everything is well incorporated.
- Transfer the mixture to the fridge and allow to chill for at least 1 hour; this will help to ensure the dough holds and the cookies are more tender.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Once the dough has chilled, portion it into 1 tablespoon balls and roll until even. Place rolled balls on a baking sheet, flatten gently, and sprinkle with granulated sugar.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and allow to bake for 8-10 minutes until cookies are cracked and just set around edges (overbaked cookies won’t be chewy).
- Remove cookies from the oven and allow to cool slightly before transfering them to a wire rack to cool completely.
- These ginger molasses cookies can be stored in an air-tight container for up to 5 days or frozen for up to 3 months.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 114 calories
- Sugar: 7 grams
- Fat: 5 grams
- Carbohydrates: 15 grams
- Protein: 2 grams
Keywords: chewy, crispy, best, easy, healthy, low calorie