Turkey Taco Skillet
Made in one pot and ready in 30 minutes, this turkey taco skillet is everything that you love about tacos packed into one single dish!
This taco skillet is a great dinner idea for those nights you don’t really feel like cooking and just need to get something on the table fast. Not only is this recipe made with pantry staples, but it’s quick and easy to prepare and highly versatile. I used ground turkey in this recipe because it’s a great way to create a high-protein dish while keeping calorie content low, however, you could certainly use ground chicken or ground beef instead. You can also mix up the vegetables in this dish based on what you have on hand (carrots, zucchini and mushrooms would all work very well), and although I used black beans in this recipe, kidney beans, pinto beans or white beans would all work, while adding some much-needed fibre at the same time.
This turkey taco skillet is a bit of a twist on my chicken burrito casserole recipe, but it’s slightly lower in carbs and much quicker to make. Not only can this taco skillet be eaten on its own, but it’s great paired with a side of steamed vegetables, side of rice or topped onto some lettuce for a quick and easy taco salad. You can whip up this turkey taco skillet as a quick and easy weeknight dinner or batch cook it as a meal prep idea for a week’s worth of healthy lunches.Print
Turkey Taco Skillet
Ready in 30 minutes, this healthy turkey taco skillet is a perfect weeknight dinner! This taco skillet recipe calls for ground turkey, but you could certainly use ground chicken or ground beef instead.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Mains
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Diet: Gluten Free
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 4 ripe tomatoes, diced OR 15oz can diced tomatoes
- 15oz can black beans, strained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn, frozen
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed chillies (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 5oz Havarti or Monterey Jack cheese, grated
- Green onion, to serve (optional)
- Cilantro, to serve (optional)
- In a large ovenproof skillet, warm olive oil on medium-high heat. Add onion, red bell pepper and green bell pepper and cook for 4-5 minutes until tender and onions are translucent.
- Add the ground turkey and cook, breaking apart with the back of a wooden spoon, until no pink remains, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add garlic, chilli powder, cumin, chilli flakes and salt and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes until garlic is tender and spices are fragrant.
- Add tomatoes (if you are using ripe tomatoes add 1/4 cup of water as well), black beans and corn, and bring to a light boil, then reduce the heat to low and simmer until the liquid has reduced slightly, 8-10 minutes.
- Turn the oven to the broil setting, sprinkle the grated cheese over the top of the skillet and then transfer to the oven for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Sprinkle with green onion and cilantro (optional) and serve immediately, or allow to cool completely and store in the fridge for up to 5 days or the freezer for 3 months.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 362 calories
- Sugar: 7 grams
- Fat: 18 grams
- Carbohydrates: 28 grams
- Fiber: 8 grams
- Protein: 27 grams
Keywords: cheesy, ground, easy, dinner, healthy