Gluten-Free Lemon Loaf
This gluten-free lemon loaf is as tart, sweet and fluffy!
Didn’t think lemon loaf could be grain-free? It most certainly can! Made with coconut flour and almond flour, this gluten-free lemon loaf works well as a delicious breakfast, snack or dessert that everyone can enjoy.
I’m not a baker, I’ve never admitted to being one, and after trying to make this loaf 6 times before landing on this recipe, I don’t think I will ever be one. I’m honestly not sure why; I like math, I like science, and I don’t mind chemistry, do you think I’d be able to figure out at least some of the ins and outs of baking. Turns out, not so much, at least not yet, especially since my Chocolate Zucchini Bread took me 4 attempts to figure out so I only seem to be getting worse. However, perhaps that is just my way of doing things because once I nail it, I sure do hit it out or the park.
My inspiration for this loaf came after I put a call out for recipe requests on my Instagram story, and after multiple requests for a gluten-free loaf, I decided to give it a go. I suppose I made my own life a little more complicated when I decided to make this recipe completely grain-free, but I wanted to create an option for everyone to enjoy. Fortunately, after many failed attempts, I’ve finally landed on a recipe that works quite well! In fact, I remade it three times myself just to be totally sure the recipe was foolproof, it is, and it’s tasty to boot.
This grain-free and gluten-free lemon Loaf is simple to prepare and makes a great afternoon snack with a little spread of butter, and a warm cup of coffee or tea.
Gluten-Free Lemon Loaf
This gluten-free lemon loaf recipe is inspired by Susan Jane White’s Victoria Sponge Cake, I simply made a few tweaks to turn it into a loaf.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 10 slices 1x
- Category: Snack
- Method: Baked
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 lemons, zested
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Coconut oil or butter, for greasing
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- In a large bowl, combine the coconut flour, almond flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Stir very well to ensure everything is well combined.
- In a separate small bowl, crack the eggs and whisk vigorously to add as much air as possible. Once the eggs are well whisked, add in the honey, olive oil and vanilla extract.
- Combine the wet ingredients into the flour mixture, add lemon zest and whisk well to combine.
- Slowly drizzle in lemon juice one tablespoon at a time, whisking thoroughly to add air.
- Grease an 8.5″ x 4.5″ loaf pan with coconut oil. (Using a larger loaf pan will just mean you get a smaller rise on the loaf.) Once greased, use a spatula to transfer the batter to the pan ensuring the batter is evenly spread out.
- Transfer the pan to the oven for 40-45 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow loaf to cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then run a knife along the sides to help remove the loaf from the pan. Allow to cool further on wire rack if needed.
- Cut into 1/2″ slices to serve.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 122 calories
- Sugar: 15 grams
- Fat: 3 grams
- Carbohydrates: 19 grams
- Fiber: 2 grams
- Protein: 4 grams