These Italian Chicken Brochettes are a summertime BBQ staple and make a simple weeknight dinner or the perfect weekend BBQ with friends. Not only are they easy to prepare, but a great way to sneak more veggies into your diet!
Brochettes are fun and convenient to make because you can load them up with any vegetables you have in the fridge giving you lots of options. Essentially, any vegetable you can grill you can add to a brochette, including anything from baby tomatoes to zucchini, onion, peppers, mushrooms, eggplant and even asparagus all work very well on the grill. In order to add a little more flavor to the chicken brochettes, I added some Italian seasoning mix to help give them an herb flavor. Although you can buy lots of seasoning blends in stores, I always find it easier, cheaper and better-tasting to make them myself. You can even double or triple the blend in this recipe and keep the seasoning mix for weeks to come.
I used chicken on these Italian chicken brochettes, but steak or shrimp would work nicely too. Plus, not only are they a good BBQ staple, but they are a great make-ahead meal prep idea for a week’s worth of lunches and dinners.Print
Italian Chicken Brochettes
These easy Italian chicken brochettes are a summertime staple and make a simple weeknight dinner or the perfect weekend BBQ with friends.
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 brochettes 1x
- Category: Mains
- Cuisine: Paleo, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free
- Diet: Low Calorie
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless
- 2 zucchini
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 red onion
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning (store-bought or recipe below)
- 1–2 tablespoons olive oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Skewers (wood or metal)
Italian Seasoning Mix:
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons dried basil
- 2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 2 tablespoons dried marjoram
- 1/2 tablespoon dried chillies (optional)
- First, prepare the seasoning mix. Add the dried herbs to a jar and mix them up. You can use a store-bought seasoning blend for this recipe, but this homemade version works very well and the extra can be stored in the cupboard for later use.
- If you are using wooden skewers you will need to soak them ahead of time. Soaking them helps to ensure that they do not burn on the grill. Simply toss them in cold water for about 30 minutes.
- Prepare your chicken. Chop the chicken into small cube-shaped, bite-size pieces. The more even you can make the cuts, the more evenly the brochettes will cook.
- Add the chicken to a bowl and coat with olive oil and Italian seasoning. Use your hands to ensure all of the chicken is well coated, and season with a pinch of sea salt and black pepper. Add more seasoning if needed.
- Prepare the vegetables. Slice the zucchinis into rounds, and chop the onions and red pepper into small squares (about 1 inch cubed squares).
- Begin threading the vegetables onto the skewers, alternating with the chicken. I like to keep them colour coordinated but the order is totally up to you!
- Heat the grill or BBQ to a medium-high heat, and place the brochettes on the grill. The brochette should not be dry. If you need to add a little more oil, do so now. This will help to keep them from sticking to the grill.
- Grill brochettes turning occasionally for 8-12 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Serve warm with rice or salad.
- Serving Size: 1 brochette
- Calories: 82 calories
- Sugar: 2 grams
- Fat: 3 grams
- Carbohydrates: 4 grams
- Fiber: 1 gram
- Protein: 10 grams
Keywords: marinade, bbq, grill, grilled, healthy