For a quick and easy meal prep idea, there is nothing quicker or more convenient than a mason jar salad, and these rainbow quinoa mason jar salads will have you eating all of the colors of the rainbow.
Not only do mason jar salads look pretty, but they are a great way to meal prep lunches that easily store in the fridge for days to come. Simply add all of your ingredients to a jar and invert the contents into a bowl when it’s time to eat. To ensure that your salad keeps your fueled for an afternoon of work, it is best to include a little protein to help balance your blood sugar and keep your afternoon hangry cravings at bay. For this particular mason jar salad, I’ve included a big spoonful of quinoa as a source of plant-based protein. You can easily cook a batch of quinoa specifically for this salad or use any leftover quinoa you might have from dinner, they will work equally well.
Although you can pretty much make any type of salad a mason jar salad, I think this rainbow quinoa mason jar salad not only tastes great but looks good too!
Rainbow Quinoa Mason Jar Salad
These quinoa mason jar salads store easily in the fridge for 4-5 days, so you can easily double the recipe to make lunches for the week ahead.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 mason jars 1x
- Category: Salads
- Diet: Vegetarian
Mason Jar Salads:
- 2 mason jars
- 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 head romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1/2 small red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup corn, fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 carrots, shredded
Honey Mustard Dressing:
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons cup olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Pinch black pepper
- In a small bowl or jar, combine dressing ingredients, whisk and set aside.
- Assemble the mason jars; begin with approximately 2 tablespoons of the dressing in the bottom of each jar.
- Next, add salad ingredients to the jar, one layer at a time, diving your vegetables between both jars to make two salads.
- Place a handful of cherry tomatoes into the jars first, doing so will ensure the quinoa does not absorb all the dressing before it is eaten.
- Next add half of the quinoa (3/4 cup) to each jar, 1/4 shredded red cabbage, 1 shredded carrot, 1/4 cup corn (if using frozen, ensure it is thawed before adding it to the jar), another handful of cherry tomatoes, 1/4 cup goat cheese and about 1/2 head chopped romaine lettuce.
- Cover with lid and store in the fridge until needed.
- To serve, invert the jar into a large bowl or plate or simply eat directly out of the jar.
- Serving Size: 1 mason jar
- Calories: 575 calories
- Sugar: 23 grams
- Fat: 25 grams
- Carbohydrates: 77 grams
- Fiber: 19 grama
- Protein: 21 grams