Shrimp Burrito Bowls
Ready in under 30 minutes, these spicy shrimp burrito bowls are full of flavour for a delicious weeknight meal.
Looking for a fun, healthy and easy dinner idea? Look no further than these shrimp burrito bowls! Packed full of rice, corn, black beans and spicy shrimp, these burrito bowls are high in protein and high in fibre for a well-balanced meal. And, the best part is, these bowls come together in under 30 minutes making them a filling, healthy and family-friendly recipe for busy weeknights.
Spicy Shrimp Burrito Bowls
Although this shrimp burrito bowl recipe calls for specific ingredients to go along with the spicy shrimp, there are truly so many ingredients you can include in a burrito bowl. If fact, if you can add an ingredient to a burrito, you can most certainly add it to a burrito bowl. Once cooked, these shrimp burrito bowls can be served immediately or stored in the fridge for up to 3 days making them a great meal prep idea. Not to mention, these bowls can be eaten hot or cold and work equally well for lunch or dinner.
Shrimp Burrito Bowl Recipe
When it comes to selecting shrimp, there are plenty of options to choose; small, medium or jumbo, peeled or unpeeled, fresh or frozen. You can truly use any type of shrimp for this shrimp burrito bowl recipe, however, if you are using frozen shrimp; be sure to thaw it before cooking, and if you are using shell-on shrimp; be sure to peel them before cooking to ensure that all of the spices adhere to the shrimp and not the shell.
More Healthy Mexican Recipes:Print
- 1 pound raw shrimp, peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lime
- 1 cup white rice, dry
- 14oz can black beans, strained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 bunch cilantro
- In a small saucepan on medium-high heat, combine rice with 2 cups of water and a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce to a simmer and cook until all of the water has been absorbed and the rice can be fluffed with a fork, about 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the spices; chili powder, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, and salt, and stir to combine.
- Add raw shrimp to a large bowl, cover with the spice mixture and toss to combine until all of the shrimp are well coated. If time permits, set aside for 15 minutes to allow the shrimp to marinate, however, this step can be omitted if time does not permit.
- In a large cast-iron or heavy bottom skillet, warm the olive oil. Add shrimp, arranging them in a single layer, and allow to cook 2-3 minutes per side until cooked through and lightly blackened on both sides. Once cooked, squeeze the juice of 1/2 of a lime over the shrimp.
- While the rice and shrimp are cooking, gently heat the black beans and thawed corn in the microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute. If desired, these ingredients can also be served cold.
- Once the rice and shrimp are cooked, assemble the bowls; divide the rice, black beans, corn and shrimp evenly across the bowls.
- Top each bowl with salsa, sliced avocado and handful of cilantro to serve.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 546 calories
- Sugar: 5 grams
- Fat: 15 grams
- Carbohydrates: 71 grams
- Fiber: 13 grams
- Protein: 36 grams
Keywords: spicy, easy, healthy
Did you make this recipe? Rate it below!