Spicy Roasted Chickpeas
Snack time can be overwhelming with all of the choices out there, however, unfortunately, a lot of them can be unhealthy. When I’ve had enough of snacking on nuts and seeds, I like to mix things up with this oh-so-easy-to-make snack of Spicy Roasted Chickpeas. Not only are they a great source of plant-based protein, which helps keep you feeling full longer, but this recipe really satisfies that salty craving.
I’ve chosen to go the spicy route on this recipe, however, any flavours you like will work well. Spices such a curry powder, garam masala and cayenne pepper or dried herbs such as rosemary and thyme will make a nice savoury flavour as well.
- 1 can (15 ounce) chickpeas
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Sea Salt
- Heat the oven to 450°F.
- Rinse and drain the chickpeas. Open the cans of chickpeas and pour the chickpeas into a strainer in the sink.
- Rinse thoroughly under running water to remove any excess liquid from the can.
- Pour the chickpeas onto a clean dishtowel or paper towl to pat dry. The more liquid you can remove the crispier they will become. If you have time, leave them to air-dry for an hour or so.
- In a bowl, toss the chickpeas with olive oil, spices and a pinch of sea salt.
- Roast the chickpeas in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Stir the chickpeas or shake the pan every 10 minutes, checking them to ensure they do not burn.
- Remove from oven and serve.
- These are best served warm as they may lose a little crispy’ness as they dry, however the flavour is still good.
- Serving Size: 1/2 cup
- Calories: 132 calories
- Sugar: 0 grams
- Fat: 6 grams
- Carbohydrates: 16 grams
- Fiber: 5 grams
- Protein: 6 grams