Stuffed Pepper Casserole
A healthy and easy baked stuffed pepper casserole!
If you love stuffed bell peppers, you’re going to love this stuffed pepper casserole. Made with ground beef, bell peppers, rice, spices and ooey-gooey mozzarella cheese, this casserole is a one-pan meal the whole family is sure to love. Not to mention, it makes plenty of servings so you’ll have leftovers for days to come.
Stuffed Bell Pepper Casserole
Perhaps it’s the cold winter weather, but I’ve been making a lot of casseroles lately. Not only are they the stick-to-your-ribs kind of food I crave when the temperature drops, but they are so easy to make and make so many servings in one simple dish. Just whip up a casserole, slice it up, serve it up and store leftover servings in the fridge or freezer so they are ready to go whenever you need them.
Although casseroles get a bad rap for being high-carb, high-fat or a little extra indulgent, that is certainly not the case. Of course, the canned soup casseroles of the 70s and 80s are not the most ideal choices, given they are mostly made of processed food, but real food-based casseroles, like this stuffed bell pepper casserole, can be a healthy and well-balanced meal. In fact, this stuffed pepper casserole is high in protein, rich in fibre and filled with healthy fats making it a great choice for lunch or dinner.
More Healthy Casserole Recipes:
Stuffed Pepper Casserole
This stuffed pepper casserole is a one-pan version of stuffed bell peppers. Although this recipe is made with ground beef it could easily be made with ground turkey or ground chicken as well.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Mains
- Method: Baked
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced,
- 4 bell peppers, mixed colours, diced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup white rice, basmati or jasmine, dry
- 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups beef broth
- 150 grams mozzarella cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- In a cast-iron skillet or large pan, warm olive oil on medium-high heat. Add ground beef and cook for 5-6 minutes, until mostly browned with a few pink bits remaining, then add onion and garlic and cook until the beef is completely browned and cooked through.
- Once cooked, transfer the meat mixture to a large baking dish (I used 9 x 13 inch) along with diced bell peppers, rice, oregano, basil, chili flakes and salt and, using a wooden spoon or spatula, stir to combine. Add diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes and beef broth and stir again until everything is well incorporated.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminium foil and then transfer to the oven to bake for 50-60 minutes or until all of the liquid is absorbed.
- Once complete, remove baking dish from the oven, remove the aluminium foil, and sprinkle with grated mozzarella cheese.
- Return the baking dish to the oven for a final 5-10 minutes until cheese has melted and is slightly golden.
- The casserole can be served immediately or cooled completely and then stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or the freezer for 3 months.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 342 calories
- Sugar: 11 grams
- Fat: 6 grams
- Carbohydrates: 43 grams
- Fiber: 5 grams
- Protein: 31 grams
Keywords: bell pepper, green pepper, red pepper, undone, easy