Chocolate Chia Pudding
Would you believe me if I told you this Chocolate Chia Pudding is delicious, guilt-free and something you could enjoy for breakfast? Good news, it is in fact all of the above!
I whipped up this Chocolate Chia Pudding for my latest CTV Morning Live segment all about Healthy Breakfast Ideas for One. I know how much of a pain it can be to whip up healthy meals, especially when you are doing it alone. However, this recipe is not only a great breakfast idea, but requires absolutely no skill in the kitchen and is ready to grab and go in the morning.
When it comes to breakfast, I really have two rules; 1) limit crumbs, and 2) eat protein. I think these two rules are the most common pitfalls in people’s breakfast, and yet they are so easy to implement. When popular breakfast items include things like muffins, bagels and granola bars, you are really not setting yourself up for a successful day. In general, items that create crumbs are higher in sugar, and flours, as compared to whole grains, have 10,000 times more surface area meaning they are absorbed more like sugar in the body. This creates a roller coaster for your blood sugar, causing a spike and rapid crash in your energy levels. Ensuring you eat a protein-rich breakfast and limiting crumbs, helps to balance your blood sugar meaning you won’t need that mid-morning snack so quickly, and you’ll have more energy come the afternoon.
Chia seeds are a fun ingredient to use. They are source of plant-based omega-3 fats and protein, and absorb 4 times their weight in liquid making them a great ingredient to create healthy puddings. Additionally, since you only need 3 tablespoons per serving for this recipe, a bag of these magical little seed will make your plenty of chocolatey treats.
Chocolate Chia Pudding
I used coconut milk in this recipe but any type of non-dairy or dairy milk will work, and if you don’t have maple syrup, honey would work as a sweetener too.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 2 hours
- Total Time: 2 hours 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 serving 1x
- Category: Snacks, Breakfast
- Cuisine: Paleo, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free
- 3 tbsp. chia seeds
- 2/3 cup coconut milk (or milk of choice)
- 1.5 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Pinch sea Salt
- Optional: Raspberries or fruit of your choice
- In a mason jar or bowl, combine the ingredients. Add chia seeds, cover with milk, and add cocoa, maple syrup and vanilla.
- Add a pinch of sea salt to the jar, this helps to bring out the chocolate flavour.
- Cover the mason jar and shake well, or using a spoon stir well to combine.
- Cover and place in the fridge overnight, or at least 2-3 hours. The chia seeds will absorb the liquid and become gelatinous in texture, creating a pudding consistency.
- In the morning, uncover the pudding and stir to ensure everything is well combined.
- Serve with raspberries or fruit and toppings of your choice.