If you’re in need of a quick and easy breakfast idea, look no further than this healthy homemade Bircher Muesli!
The word muesli is a Swiss-German variation of the German word “müs” meaning porridge and is a mixture of rolled oats, nuts, seeds and fruit. Although similar to granola, muesli does not contain any added sugar and, because it isn’t baked since there’s no sugar or oil needed to bind the ingredients, it can easily be stored in the pantry for months.
Bircher muesli is actually a variation of muesli, invented by Dr. Bircher, that is made with the addition of grated apple and whole milk, and is essentially the original version of overnight oats. Naturally sweetened, rich in fibre and high in protein, Bircher muesli is a great option for busy mornings when you need a healthy breakfast to get you out the door in a hurry.
Although you can truly use any type of milk you like, muesli just isn’t the same without cow’s milk. Not only does it provides a natural sweetness and creaminess to the muesli, but it’s a source of 15 essential nutrients for a healthy diet. When buying milk, be sure to look for the blue cow logo to ensure that you are buying 100% Canadian dairy. Not only does Canada have some of the highest dairy standards in the world, but Ontario Dairy Farmers are continuously improving and perfecting the craft of dairy farming to ensure Canadians are consuming the highest quality dairy products possible, making it the perfect ingredient for this homemade Bircher muesli.
Disclaimer: This recipe is in partnership with the Dairy Farmers of Ontario.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 serving 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Cuisine: Gluten-Free
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 1 apple, Granny smith, grated
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1–2 teaspoons honey, to serve
- In a small bowl or jar, combine the oats, cinnamon, hazelnuts, and raisins, and stir to combine.
- Add the grated apple and milk, and stir until everything is well mixed.
- Transfer to the fridge and allow to sit for at least 2-3 hours, or allow to sit in the fridge overnight, this allow the oats to soften and become easier to digest.
- When ready to eat, serve cold with a drizzle of honey and/or an extra splash of milk.
- If desired, you can combine a larger batch of the rolled oats, cinnamon, hazelnuts and raisins and store it in an air-tight container or jar and simply add apple and milk when you are ready to eat.