Chicken Burrito Casserole
Everything you love about about a burrito in one simple dish, this Chicken Burrito Casserole is the perfect weeknight meal!
There is nothing like a one-pot meal that you can throw together, walk away, and let the oven do all of the work, and this chicken burrito casserole is exactly that! Not only is this dish incredibly easy to prepare (and I mean incredibly!), but it’s a well-balanced meal complete with carbohydrates, protein and fat that works well for lunch and dinner alike. Packed full of rice, beans and plenty of veggies, it’s a great meal prep idea, or a simple weeknight dinner idea that will leave you with leftovers for days to come.
This chicken burrito casserole calls for cooked chicken, so it’s the perfect dish to make with leftovers, or grab a whole roast chicken at the grocery store to save yourself some prep work!
Chicken Burrito Casserole
Packed full of protein, fibre and veggies, this healthy Chicken Burrito Casserole works well as a meal prep idea or simple weeknight dinner.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 55 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Mains
- Cuisine: Gluten-Free
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 1 cup dry long-grain white rice, basmati or jasmine
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup corn kernels, frozen
- 14oz can black beans, strained and rinsed
- 6 cups shredded chicken ( or 3 chicken breasts, cooked and shredded)
- 3 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 150 grams Monterey Jack or Havarti cheese, grated
- Cilantro, to serve
- Green onion, to serve
- Preheat oven to 400°F. (If you don’t have cooked chicken, bake the chicken breasts in the oven for 25 minutes. Once cooked, place chicken on a cutting board and use two forks to shred the chicken into bite-size pieces.)
- In a large 2 or 3-quart baking dish, add onion, bell pepper, jalapeño, rice, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, oregano and salt and stir to combine.
- In a seperate bowl or measuring cup, combine chicken broth, tomato paste and olive oil and whisk until well combined.
- Transfer broth mixture to the baking dish and stir to combine with the rice mixture.
- Add chicken, black beans and corn to the baking dish and give it one final stir until everything is well incorporated.
- Cover the baking dish with aluminum foil and then transfer to the oven to bake for 50 minutes.
- Once complete, remove baking dish from the oven, remove alumnimum foil, and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Return the baking dish to the oven for a final 5-10 minutes until cheese has melted and is slightly golden.
- Remove form the oven, allow to cool slightly, and serve with a sprinkle of fresh coriander and spring onion as desired.