Golden Chicken & Lentil Soup
High in protein and packed full of fiber, this Golden Chicken and Lentil Soup is a hearty one-pot meal and a perfect healthy weeknight dinner!
Over the years, I have probably made a dozen different variations of this soup. Depending on what ingredients I have on hand, I’ve used different combinations of lentils, cuts of chicken, vegetables and spices to make different styles of soup, but no matter what I use, it always seems to turn out just right. Lentils are one of those versatile ingredients that are so hard to mess up and, although many people are not sure how to cook with lentils, they are actually very simple to use. In fact, I would argue, if you can cook pasta you will be able to cook lentils absolutely no problem at all and, with a dash of spices, you can create a world on flavour very easily.
This chicken and lentil soup is meant to be cooked in a pot, however, you could also use a slow cooker if you prefer. Simply add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker and simmer the soup on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours until the chicken is cooked, and then shred it into pieces before returning it to the soup. Once cooked, this chicken and lentil soup can easily be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days or the freezer for 3 months making it a great meal prep idea!
Golden Chicken & Lentil Soup
This Golden Chicken & Lentil Soup is high in protein, rich in fibre, packed full of flavour, and ready in under one hour making it a great weeknight meal!
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Soups & Stews
- Cuisine: Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup red lentils, dry
- 2 chicken breasts
- 14oz can coconut milk
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1” fresh ginger, grated
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 cups kale, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Fresh coriander, to serve
- In a large pot heat the olive oil on medium heat.
- Add onions, carrots, garlic and ginger and cook for 3-4 minutes until tender.
- Add lentils, curry powder, turmeric, salt, pepper and cook for an additional 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Pour in broth and use a spoon or spatula to scrape any bits off the bottom of the pot. Add coconut milk and again stir to combine.
- Add raw chicken breasts to the pot, ensuring they are submerged in liquid, and cook for 20 minutes on a low simmer until chicken is cooked through.
- Once cooked, remove chicken from the pot and place it on a cutting board. Using two forks, shred the chicken into bite size pieces.
- Return shredded chicken to the pot with the chopped kale, stir to combine, and simmer for an additional 10 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper as needed, and serve with fresh coriander.
Want more quick and easy recipes? Grab a copy of my 5-Ingredient Recipes Cookbook!