Wild Rice Chicken Mushroom Soup
Creamy chicken mushroom soup with wild rice soup!
Filled with wild rice, vegetables, garlic, and fresh herbs, this creamy chicken mushroom soup is the perfect meal to warm you up on a cold fall or winter day. Plus, it’s made with pantry staples making it a great go-to meal for those nights you’re just not sure what to make for dinner.
The best part about this chicken and mushroom soup is that it’s easy to make while being incredibly nutrient-dense at the same time. The combination of chicken, rice, vegetables, milk, cream, and parmesan cheese helps to create a well-balanced soup that is high in protein, full of fibre, and healthy fats. I used a combination of mushrooms in my soup to give it a bit more contrast and flavour, although any type of mushroom will work, and you can certainly use white rice or brown rice instead of wild rice if you prefer.
More Chicken Soup Recipes:Print
This rich and creamy chicken mushroom soup works equally well for a healthy lunch or dinner. Feel free to swap wild rice for white rice or brown rice if you prefer.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups mushrooms, mixed, sliced
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 1 cup wild rice, dry
- 2 chicken breasts
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/4 cup parsley, roughly chopped
- In a large pot on medium-high heat, add olive oil and butter and allow butter to melt. Add onion, carrots and celery, and cook for 4-5 minutes until tender.
- Add mushrooms, stir to combine, and cook for an additional 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender and have reduced roughly in half by size.
- Add garlic, thyme, a generous pinch of salt and bit of pepper, stir to combine, and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes.
- Add wild rice, cover with broth, and stir to combine. Submerge the raw chicken breasts in the broth, reduce the heat to a simmer, cover with a lid, and allow to cook for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove the chicken from the pot and place it on a cutting board. Using two forks, shred the chicken into small bite-size pieces. Continue cooking the soup while you shred the chicken.
- Once shredded, return the chicken to the pot and simmer the soup, covered, for a final 10 minutes or until the rice is tender.
- Once cooked, turn off the heat, add milk, cream, parmesan cheese, and parsley and stir until well combined. Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed. If you find the soup too thick you can add an extra splash of broth or water until you reach a desired consistency.
- Serve the soup with a sprinkle of parsley and parmesan cheese and a side of crusty bread.
- Any leftover soup can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days or the freezer for 3 months.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 293 calories
- Sugar: 8 grams
- Fat: 11 grams
- Carbohydrates: 32 grams
- Fiber: 4 grams
- Protein: 19 grams
Keywords: cream, chicken breast, rice